PDA

View Full Version : Ice Bank Design/Help

kingc66l
16-12-2008, 08:29 AM
Hi how we all doin out there,

This is my first time posting thread on site and was wondering if you guys could help please.

I want to design a ice bank for the purpose of using it to precool milk through heat exchanger.

Milk load 4500 litres
Milking time 2 hrs
Milk temp 35 degrees c
precooled to 18 degrees c
Time to build ice 12 hrs

How do I go about working out how much ice to build and size of unit in kW? Any help would be appreciated.

Magoo
20-12-2008, 11:46 PM
Ice banks are fine but recovery between milkings can dictate a large compressor.
Have you concidered an air and water system, with a large storage water tank and a smallish cooling tower that chills water in tank that then is used as a pre-cooler for milk before hitting the vat. depending on location the system is very economical and effective. Then you could have a smaller glycol chiller to knock the rest of the heat out of the milk before going into refrigerated vat. Very cost effective. A bloke to call is wally on 092783300.

Dondy
24-12-2008, 01:28 AM
Hi . As Magoo suggested there is more than one way to chill your milk. We use both ice banks (for smaller volumes up to 5000 litres) and bulk chilled water or glycol (for larger volumes), cost is also part of the aplication decision but generally an icebank is cheeper. We currently make the icebanks that we use on both dairy and goat farms. If you need call Paul on 07 888 7345. Can certainly give you some ideas.

Scott22
15-11-2009, 12:51 AM
its best and easier to use an evaporative cooler along with a chilled water system to add capacity, using the evaporative cooler with the chilled water to cool the milk directly through a heat exchanger then pumping chilled water around vat... milk should be cooled from 35 to 4 degrease within 1.5 hours otherwise it spoils the milk. i can work out the kw when i have some spare time

girirath
19-01-2010, 01:42 AM
hi,
for pre cooling the milk to 18 deg c chilled water with phe will be easier and cost effective .
a 15 tr chiller will do the job

chemi-cool
19-01-2010, 05:47 PM
Gentlemen from NZ,

For such a small milk tank in "not very hot country" you do not need all those "gadgets" such as ice banks and precooling.

I presume its a small dairy farm, some 70 milking cows.
So you get about 1500L per milking.

For such a unit we use DX 3.5 TR = 5 HP condensing unit.

If you get to finish the milking with around 10°C, then everything is fine.

I do not know what is the preferred way to cool milk down there but here we have developed some years ago a new way to design the cooling evaporators in the milk tanks and its doing wonders even in 48°C ambient.
For example, in a 40000L tank, with 3500L per hour, 3 hours milking, the temp at the end of the milking is 9°C > 12°C and further 40 minuets to cool it to 3°C.

All ice banks, pre coolers and systems with glycol are wasting energy.
The bottom line is watt per litre.

Pedrozald
24-01-2010, 01:11 AM
Dear Gentleman

I received your message that you sent two years ago, but probably this information can help you

For your request i need how many time you receive milk per day. In other words; Do you receive at 4:00AM 2250 ltrs and then the next time at: 4:00PM 2250Ltrs. So in thes case you have 12 hours between each time in this case you would need:
Amount of Ice: 485KGs.
Power Capaciy: 2.5HP
Length of cooper tubing inside the water tank to make ice: 60mtrs @5/8"
Wayer pump capacity from de Ice builder to heathchanger: 100GPM@90TDH.
Kind of Heatchanger: Flat Plate( i dont have the model rigth now)
capacity of the Water tank: 1500ltrs

If you need more information dont hesitate.

Regards
Pedro Zaldumbide
Quito-Ecuador-South America
593-2-2271107
593-98317120