PDA

View Full Version : Carrier Abbo Chiller Help!??

Bash1803
15-12-2008, 10:06 AM
Hi Guys,

I've just taken on a site with a Carrier 16JB032HW absorption chiller.
It runs Lithium Bromide and Water as the Refrigerant and has 505kW cooling capacity....

Just wondering if anyone has any IOM or data books on it as i've tried Carrier but they don't seem to be very helpful.....

Appreciate the Help,

Bash

Grizzly
15-12-2008, 10:10 PM
Welcome Bash.
Please follow the link provided for a manual.
Is Abbo what you younger engineers are calling an absorber (which I prefer)nowadays?
Personally I though it was a Native of Australia?
http://www.mediafire.com/?kyxybdy9yt1

Grizzly
Ps this is an oldish bit of kit I presume?

Bash1803
16-12-2008, 10:39 AM
Excellent, that's exactly what my manager said to me!!!! :)
Also the kit is made about 1999.
Cheers Grizzly

Argus
16-12-2008, 11:15 AM

Absorption technology hasn't changed much in 60 years. Some of the controls may be a bit more modern, but it's pretty much the same as it was.

But you need to go into this with your eyes open and be prepared. This gear is NOT a tin-and-wind chiller on a roof.

When you are into this area of the game, expect very long reaction times to adjustment (hours) and intensive maintenance. You will definitely not be in and out in a few hours.

Here are some things to consider:

1 - You will need good quality temperature measurement gear in the range 0 - 20 and 50 - 120 degrees if it is high temperature hot water or steam. Older machines had thermometer wells - newer ones may be equipped with thermocouple points.

2 - To test the solution quality you will need calibrated hydrometers.

3 - You will also need specific PPE (Li-Bro is extremely corrosive). The machine should be sitting in a bund to contain spillage.
A H&S method statement will also be expected, detailing your disposal strategy and spillage contingency. The water will be contaminated with chromate and other (probably unknown) inhibitors, so if you do get involved, the first thing you need to do before anything else is to draw off a sample of the solution and get it professionally analysed. The detail of the analysis will be the basis of your price - you don't know the state of this machine without a solution analysis. They are usually repeated annually, so build that in your costs. This may be easier said than done, because you'll need a properly equipped and accredited laboratory to do it and a full repor for your client.

4 - A vacuum pump with a very efficient gas ballast, that you don't mind scrapping if it gets damaged by the solution. Solenoid valves, check valves and a surge drum that will withstand a vacuum to a few hundred microns.

......... Oh and I forgot, don't overlook the rest of the site gear, boilers, pumps, controls, AHUs, etc, - it all has to work properly before you even think of the chiller.

This may explain why you aren't being trampled into the ground in the rush to do the job, but good luck.

Bash1803
16-12-2008, 12:08 PM
Thanks ver much Argus, some really useful information here!!

absrbrtek
20-12-2008, 06:10 AM
Is it having any specific problems? Done lots of 16JB work in my time if you need any help.
Thanks ver much Argus, some really useful information here!!