PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible?

nicknoxx
17-03-2004, 05:31 PM
I've bought a fridge. Nothing unusal there but it turns out to be a 1970's naval beer cooler and it weighs 450kg!!

You can see pictures and a full description here
http://www.saucefx.com/nick/new_fridge.html

It looks fantastic but is very noisy when running and probably not very efficient. Also at present it doesn't get very cold so I'd like to replace the workings with something more modern and quiet.

Phoning local engineers has resulted in a brick wall - nobody even phones back or turns up to appointments.

Is it possible to transplant the workings of a modern fridge into my cabinet and does anybody know of a person who can help me - I'm near Bath in the UK

Many thanks

Nick Brooks

chemi-cool
17-03-2004, 06:14 PM
hi nick,

just beatiful.

please check if the unit is 60hz. if so than its 17% slower and you will need to change all motors as the transformer will not give you 50hz.
if not ignore it.

you said you have changed the refrigerant. did you change anyhting else?
can the new refrigerant work with the oil in the compressor?

have it checked by someone who can appriciate such a machine.

I live too far to help but the local techs will soon be here and Im sure someone ca help.

chemi :)

rbartlett
17-03-2004, 06:33 PM
you probably don't need a complete change of kit -morely likely there is something wrong with the system/compressor or when the refrigerant was changed

cheers

richard

Mark
17-03-2004, 11:32 PM
Hi nick:)

I once repaired a friends retro 70s fridge c/w ice box.This particular one had a faulty stat and chaffed mains lead so i repaired it.
They have a very large hermetic compressor very very noisy(it is reffered to as a "PANCAKE" compressor,He ended up getting rid of the fridge as it was costing too much money to run the beast:(

Great looking fridge though :)

Kind regards Mark:)

nicknoxx
18-03-2004, 11:08 AM
Thanks for all your replys. I didn't personally change the refrigerant., the person I bought it off "said" he had had it done. He had three of these and one was working in his kitchen.

I'm using a 110v "building site" transformer but obviously it'll be 50Hz and the one I saw working was operating the same way.

I'd love to have it checked by someone who can appriciate such a machine but everybody I've phoned either doesn't call back or says it's too old to be repaired

I don't know where to turn

Nick

rbartlett
18-03-2004, 07:05 PM
doncaster to bath??

that's a bit far isn't it?

the question isn't if he wants it fixed -it's is he willng to pay...?

spacemanmark lives in that area -surely he can get someone round to have a look??

cheers

richard

shogun7
19-03-2004, 01:44 AM
I say nicknoxx do you deliver?
Roger

:D :D :D

Abe
19-03-2004, 06:25 AM
Nicknoxx

Whatever you do dont give up on that fridge
From my experience......those pancake compressors lasted forever......although I only worked on 230 v types

You have a piece of history there.....preserve it

Peter_1
19-03-2004, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by penguinkiller
also thinking about it? a 110 tranformer is usually rated a 3 amps? these fridges were connected on ships to a115v 15amp circuit and commonly drew +10amps starting current?

Usually 3 AMP????
Exists in all versions till thousands of AMPs.

nicknoxx
19-03-2004, 10:00 AM
Thanks all for your continued assistance.

I have already contacted Lightfoot who gave me the contact number of a field service engineer. He never returned my call.

I am very willing to pay to get this working and am aware that it may be expensive. Beloved spouse has found these ice chests made by
Meneghini at
http://www.robeys-heating.co.uk/
and they cost up to £4000

Contact numbers local to me much appreciated

Nick

Also Transformer is rated at 750w which means it should be good for 6.5A continious and I imagine it can whithstand 10A for short periods

nicknoxx
24-03-2004, 04:47 PM
I forgot to say that my fridge has NEVER been used. It was found in a crate and when I removed it, the original instructions including engineering drawings, were there and the shelves were still wrapped up.

Only the armed forces could buy something as expensive as this and not use it for over 30 years

Nick
(still trying to get it going)

chemi-cool
24-03-2004, 05:50 PM
hi nick,

what ever you do, keep it!

your kids will always be able to get valued at the " anique road show".

I will look for a way to increase the incoming Hz to 60 and than it will be ok.

chemi :)

davidler
24-03-2004, 06:02 PM
if you need to increase the Hz of the motor from 50 to 60 hz, why not use 115v inverter... you can either manually turn the pot upto 60HZ which if the motor is a 4pole motor would incraese its running speed to approx 1750 rpm or if a 2 pole motor up to 3500 rpm... or set a parameter within the inverter control panel.

these are available from america..... try a company called baldor they can be found somewhere on the net i am sure

davidler
24-03-2004, 06:07 PM
have you also checked the compressor name plate .. it may be that the windings are dual voltage and the motor just needs re-connecting to 240 volts. the americans when winding these motors tend to bring out loads of flying leads where some are supplied and some are crimped together. if this is so let me know how many leads are there and i will try and find u a connectin drawing.

nicknoxx
25-03-2004, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have a look

Nick

slothslag
25-03-2004, 10:38 AM
the original instructions including engineering drawings,

check these out closely for specs on voltage, frequency etc.

nicknoxx
02-04-2004, 04:18 PM
rbartlett has visited my fridge and has promised to get it working.

A big thank you to everyone who contributed but especially to Richard.

You're a star

Nick

chemi-cool
02-04-2004, 04:44 PM
hi nick,

I'm glad your problem had been solved.

by the way, did richard had his platinum skill card on him? :D

chemi

rbartlett
02-04-2004, 05:05 PM
hi nick,

I'm glad your problem had been solved.

by the way, did richard had his platinum skill card on him? :D

chemi

problem not solved yet..

nick

thinking about it i feel we need

1 condensing unit (as agreed)
2 an internal fan motor (this will help the air circulation and help keep frosting down)
3 a defrost timeclock(when number 2 needs a bit of help)
4 a tray to collect the water under the alluminium evaparator ( i'll leave that to you)

cheers

richard