PDA

View Full Version : Coldrooms overflow discharge

Jeffrey
08-12-2008, 03:06 PM
Custom built cooler and freezer in restaurant kitchen.
Does anyone know if there is legislation regarding how/where is the proper way to discharge the overflow please? Using a bucket is not an option.:)
Any feedback will be appreciated.

Brian_UK
09-12-2008, 12:02 AM
Hi Jeffrey and welcome to the forum.

What sort of 'overflow' are you referring to?

If it is the condensate or defrost drain from the evaporator coils then, like most drains, it should be connected to one of the normal building drains so that it discharges down the sewer. It must include a trap of course.

Jeffrey
26-12-2008, 10:13 PM
Hi Brian UK. Thank you for your reply.
Much obliged.

Grizzly
27-12-2008, 04:10 PM
Hi Jeffrey and welcome to the forum.

What sort of 'overflow' are you referring to?

If it is the condensate or defrost drain from the evaporator coils then, like most drains, it should be connected to one of the normal building drains so that it discharges down the sewer. It must include a trap of course.

May I suggest that the above is "good and best practise" Brian.
Although not Mandatory as far as I am aware?
Otherwise most of the Installs that I come across would fall fowl of this!
Can anyone confirm as to what Brian suggests?
Cheers Grizzly
(not a criticism Brian just questioning whether so many installs can be wrong!)
:confused:

Andy
27-12-2008, 07:57 PM
May I suggest that the above is "good and best practise" Brian.
Although not Mandatory as far as I am aware?
Otherwise most of the Installs that I come across would fall fowl of this!
Can anyone confirm as to what Brian suggests?
Cheers Grizzly
(not a criticism Brian just questioning whether so many installs can be wrong!)
:confused:

Hello Grizzly:)

In N.Ireland this would be mandatory under building control.

If a building control officer was checking a new job or renovations where plans had been submitted, he could turn the job down until traps had been fitted prior to where a drain enters the foul drain.

Kind Regards Andy:)

Grizzly
28-12-2008, 12:54 AM
Sorry Guys,
I may have used the wrong terminology.
I understand the need for proper condensate or defrost drain lines in a food environment.
With their requisite vapour traps.
As Brian stated, my question is is it still a requirement when talking about a condensate line on say a split system?
Meaning at what stage if any does it no longer become a requirement to terminate to a drain?
Thanks Grizzly

Brian_UK
28-12-2008, 01:04 AM
Interesting question Grizzly.

I was only looking at the kitchen environment and providing an alternative to the bucket collection method.

I think that any other type of drainage, non-food, can be discharged where ever you like, within Codes of course. But, if connecting to a drain then a trap is always useful.

nike123
28-12-2008, 11:03 AM
Interesting question Grizzly.

I was only looking at the kitchen environment and providing an alternative to the bucket collection method.

I think that any other type of drainage, non-food, can be discharged where ever you like, within Codes of course. But, if connecting to a drain then a trap is always useful.

Traps are there to prevent sewage or waste water main drain pipe smell to go to conditioned space thru condensate drainage pipes.
But what with hygiene when you drain your fresh meat cooler condensate thru sewage drain even with trap fitted.
Is there any regulations about that in your countries? And what is practice?