PDA

View Full Version : pipe flairing

slothslag
17-03-2004, 11:09 AM
can someone tell me where I can find info on pipe flairing? Specifically the dimentions. Do I have to do a bigger flair for R410A than with R22. Can you over flair?

Karl Hofmann
17-03-2004, 03:00 PM
After all the song and dance the manufacturers made over how to joint pipework on R410 systems, they decided to do nothing. The flair is exactly the same as on R22 systems, but they do recommend that a good quality flairing block is used. I use one with a concentric cone and a spring loaded clutch. Must admit it does make a very nice flair every time. Another option are braze on flair ends which are a little more robust than a flaired pipe.

chemi-cool
17-03-2004, 06:22 PM
hi slothslag,
(where on earth you people find names?)

carl is absolutly right.
I can only add atype of connection used in places where you need to be sure of no leeks. cost a little but very good.

chemi :)

Peter_1
17-03-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by chemi-cool
hi slothslag,
(where on earth you people find names?)

carl is absolutly right.
I can only add atype of connection used in places where you need to be sure of no leeks. cost a little but very good.

chemi :)

We call it STEK couplings.

Karl Hofmann
17-03-2004, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Peter_1
We call it STEK couplings.

Thats the name I was looking for, thanks Peter. They are braze on fittings, right? :)

Peter_1
17-03-2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Karl Hofmann
Thats the name I was looking for, thanks Peter. They are braze on fittings, right? :)

Yup, only need to fit a copper ring inside.

baker
18-03-2004, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by slothslag
can someone tell me where I can find info on pipe flairing? Specifically the dimentions. Do I have to do a bigger flair for R410A than with R22. Can you over flair?

I was looking for something better than the old Imperial flaring block so I imported a Yellow Jacket deluxe flarer from the US because I couldn't find anything local. This produces a beautiful flare. Airefrig now stock a similar Rothenberger unit.

Also in Oz, Heldon are selling high pressure adaptors. To quote "Our swivel adaptors feature a machined stainless steel flare face". "The copper stepped washer fits easily in the stainless steel face, overcoming the issue of misalignment which commonly leads to leakage". You braze these in and they are pressure rated for R410A.