PDA

View Full Version : Charging oil - HOW?????

FreezerGeezer
07-12-2008, 01:05 AM
Hi guys.

I feel pretty stupid posting this, but I need advice please.

I have a Copeland model 8DHI-500X-BWM/D that has lost a large amount of it's oil charge. NOw, you'd think it would be simple to recharge, but no! There's oil sight glasses both sides of the sump, but no oil charge port.
On th eoil pump end, there are plugs either side of the oil pump that look like they may be fusible plugs.
Below, there are the internal PRV & the oil strainer.
The oil pump has one schrader connection to the high side. There is no external low-side connection on this model of compressor.

So the question is, where is the charging port?
My thoughts are either pump the compressor to atmospheric & then introduce the oil via the pump high side schrader, or via the compressor suction valve 1/4" port. I suspect that the former is out, as I'd need to force th epump into reverse, and I believe it's linked to the crank! And the latter I'm not over happy about as I do not know how easily the oil will flow through the suction, past the motor & into the sump.

Anyone done an oil change on these compressors? How do you introduce the new oil please?

A drawing can be found here: http://www.ecopeland.com/documentation.cfm?what=list2&prodtype=c&litbra=2&litdocid=20&sub=2&Famgrp=12 and click on the D8D compressor.

Thnaks for any help. :)

GHAZ
07-12-2008, 03:55 PM
Hello freezer geezer just above the oil pump on both sides there are crankcase fittings 1/4 npt ,just take one out and pump the oil through there,because they both go to crankcase

FreezerGeezer
08-12-2008, 01:26 AM
Cheers Ghaz. :)
As it happens, Copeland came through just now, with a bit of effort on their part. They tell me that the one at 8 o-clock to the oil pump is the charging port, the one at 5 o-clock is for the L.P of an oil pressure control, if fitted. Seems to me that as you say, it doesn't matter which way around you use them. ;)

Thnkas once agian for the help mate, it's much appreciated.

WINJA
09-12-2008, 04:36 AM
Wouldnt it have been simple just to hand pump it with a stirrup pump into the suction service valve 1/4 access, or just suck it in via a vacum

NoNickName
09-12-2008, 07:34 AM
Sucking the oil into the suction port would flood the motor. Although little rates of oil are no problem, large quantities at once may cause the oil check valve to implode.

WINJA
09-12-2008, 07:47 AM
Sucking the oil into the suction port would flood the motor. Although little rates of oil are no problem, large quantities at once may cause the oil check valve to implode.
if its a nomal recip compressor, ive been topping it up that way for years and never had an issue yet, the oil goes in slow thru a 1/4 gauge line any way and you just start the compressor a few times which also maintans the vacum.

if its a complete oil change thats different altogether, it would need to be pumped etc etc

FreezerGeezer
10-12-2008, 10:29 AM
Yep, it had suffered total oil loss, so 7.7L of POE were going in! Still, it gave me the opportunity to check the oil filter.