PDA

View Full Version : use panel or foam in place ?

COLD WANG
06-12-2008, 03:57 PM
I have asked to build a cold storage ,-18 to -23 degree c .i cant decide to use panel insulation or foam in place .someone advice me to foam polyurethane on the brick wall without vapor retarder .because the polyurethane can provide vapor seal on the wall.what do you think ?and brick wall become a insulation part when foam polyurethane on the wall. Use of prefabricated insulated panels for insulate Wall a lot of joints decrease the insulated ability and the panel cant close with the brick wall tightly .what do you think ?<O:p></O:p>:o

boy
07-12-2008, 10:46 AM
cold wang,

for easy and fast construction use insulated panel dont worry on joints they have camlock provided so no air leak.

ragards,

nike123
07-12-2008, 11:08 AM
I would go with panels, but you should be careful on thermal bridges and sealing of joints. Modern panels for refrigeration industry have all what you need to make good sealed walk-in with no problematic spots if you are sticking to manufacturer recommendations about sealing and thermal bridge prevention details.

COLD WANG
07-12-2008, 12:22 PM
thanks very much for your advice .
but annother question :
foam polyurethane directly on the wall without vapor retarder?because the polyurethane itself can seal the vapor?is it really true?
the wall is exsist,and we will install the isulated panel closely against the wall.
but the spacing may be exsist .so the brick wall cant act a insulated wall?

Andy
07-12-2008, 12:47 PM
but annother question :
foam polyurethane directly on the wall without vapor retarder?because the polyurethane itself can seal the vapor?is it really true?
the wall is exsist,and we will install the isulated panel closely against the wall.

Hellol COLD WANG:)

No the polyurethane directly on the wall will not create a vapour barrier.

The brick will have some small insulating effect.

I would also advise that you leave an air gap betwwen the brick and the panel to reduce condensation in this area.

Kind Regards Andy:)

nike123
07-12-2008, 01:00 PM
but annother question :

Air spacing between brick wall and panel is beneficial because standing air is acting as insulation layer!
Therefore in this way you got better overall insulation than if you insulate brick with foam directly!
Did you ever done negative temperature walk-in? If you not, then you maybe need supervision from someone with practical experience in that field!

COLD WANG
07-12-2008, 01:42 PM
thanks very much ,i understand now.
in our contry ,foam in place with pu directly on the brick wall in many cold storage .this method is wrong now!?they also foam on the floor.if we use pu panel with metal surface,we can foam pu in the joints?
kind regards cold wang

COLD WANG
08-12-2008, 07:38 AM
panel and foam in place ,wich is most ofen in your country?
the floor use xps or pu ?which one is best ?

nike123
08-12-2008, 08:09 AM
panel and foam in place ,wich is most ofen in your country?

Here, nobody do it with foam any more. Panels are affordable.

the floor use xps or pu ?which one is best ?
That depends on floor load. For light load PU and for heavy load XPS, but mostly XPS!

nike123
08-12-2008, 08:33 AM
[quote=COLD WANG;128170]if we use pu panel with metal surface,we can foam pu in the joints?

Only on corner joints where panels are cut we pour two component PU. On panel factory made joints, we place purpose made foam and special low temperature sealant.