PDA

View Full Version : Stinky Bosch

bowers
04-12-2008, 08:19 PM
Hi

Forgive my layman's description here.

I have a Bosch 'duo system' two door fridge freezer.

At the rear, at the base of the unit, there is an enclosed metal unit (I imagine this is the compressor) and on top of this there is an open, plastic container. This is fed by a plastic channel that drains condensation from the inside of the fridge and down the back of the unit.

The problem is that the accumulated material in this container is foul smelling, to the point that it eventually stunk out the whole kitchen!

The container is difficult to access properly, but I have cleaned it previously when it was full of foul liquid and gunge. Once it was dried out, it was fine for several months and then was foul again. Once again I have cleaned it out and it is dry.

Can anyone tell me what is wrong here and what needs to be done?

Many thanks.

344martin
07-12-2008, 11:37 AM
Try to avoid spilling liquids in the fridge. These will end up in that tray and fester

bowers
08-12-2008, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the reply. But this try seems to fill from the drainage hole in the fridge. Does it need emptying from time to time - or should it drain itself?

Thanks in anticipation

Argus
08-12-2008, 11:54 AM

The tray you mention collects condensate drain-off from the inside of the larder section.

They are designed so that the evaporator coil (the bit that gets cold) doesn't freeze, so it continuously generates a small amount of water.

The tray is situated on top of the compressor at the back so that the heat given off the motor evaporates the water. Obviously, any krud that is washed down the drain hole is left behind to get a bit rancid.

If the food in the fridge is sealed or contained, then the accumulation of bacteria is low; open storage of food items and pungent items will increase the risk of foul smells. Additionally the tray it will attract bacteria from the surrounding air at the back of the fridge.
If you have dogs and cats this area will be rich in animal fur.

As with all items that are out of sight it is forgotten, but the short answer to your problem is to clean the whole thing, evaporator plate, drain and tray regularly and put an anti bacterial solution down the drain from time to time.

If you were a restaurant this would be considered basic hygiene.

Why the manufacturer should wish to place a condensate tray that needs regular attention in an inaccessible position is open to question, but they all seem to do it.

bowers
08-12-2008, 02:22 PM
Many thanks for this. Very helpful indeed.