PDA

View Full Version : if/when to change r409a gas?

Harrison
04-12-2008, 07:52 PM
hi all,
a customer has a 12hp med temp system running on r409a. i have no experience with r409a leaks, either convert to 134a or go for new gas but this one has around $900 of gas! so how do you know if a leak has affected the comosition of the refrigerant? What are the symptoms? thanks!

Sledge
05-12-2008, 03:31 AM
If you have a leak, to repair it you will have to remove the refrigerant.
I would put the tank of recovered refrigerant into a freezer, and check the pressure on the tank, and then put it in a warm room and check again. see how much variance from the pt chart when the tank has had a chance reach space temp.

I would suggest that unless your leak was in the liquid line, or, it is a tiny leak, it is time to switch refrigerants.

they may not like paying now, but if you cannot get it to work properly and they end up changing anyway, they will be more unhappy.

Harrison
06-12-2008, 04:48 AM
good suggestion, just take a sample from the liquid. i was thinking that the hp and lp would show some classic signs of bias towards one of the 409 components, ie higher hp and lower lp or something. anyone with empirical experience with this problem?