PDA

View Full Version : Cannot believe these people exist out there...

back2space
03-12-2008, 01:10 AM
"Quoted" from the following link:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=16408749#post16408749

"I've just ordered a single inverter aircon unit to heat the open plan area of my house.

£450 for a 13000BTU unit which I should be able to fit myself, the savings over storage heaters sounds sensational - 1kw in = up to 4kw out (I know 1:6 units exist but they are too expensive to ever make them worth it).

I was given advice to hire a air vac pump to get any moisture out the system but on phoning a couple of local aircon engineers they have advised me I don't need to do that, just to run it on full heat and it will burn of any moisture - one actually said he would come and vac it but that I was wasting my money!

Does this sound right? Does anyone else run one of these air to air inverter systems?"

RedEye
03-12-2008, 02:50 PM
Ride em cowboy, ye hi!

Any warranty given??

Brian_UK
03-12-2008, 07:42 PM
Frightening, isn't it ?

I think that the feeling of despair applies to any tradesman, be he AC/R, electrician or plumber, when he reads comments like that.

US Iceman
03-12-2008, 07:55 PM
...just to run it on full heat and it will burn of any moisture...

I don't know if this is supposed to be serious or is an indication of the "service people" available.

Should we laugh or should we cry?:rolleyes:

NoNickName
03-12-2008, 10:13 PM
Well, I hear all sort of funny questions daily. I'm not amused, I'm just frightened and unhearted.

coolments
03-12-2008, 10:38 PM
Hi Back2space, sadly I think the reality is most of our tradesman in the uk tend to stay well clear of finishing off DIY jobs or plug and play units so probably just said what ever it would take for the call to be droppped, keep phoning round and I am sure some one will take on the job.
I see you are trying to do the right thing by getting a vac pump but unless its used correctly the object of it is defeated.

back2space
04-12-2008, 12:56 PM
Hi Coolments, please note that the post is not in connection with me whatsoever, I have a proffesionally installed multisplit system that I thankfully only have to service the filters monthly! I certainly would not put a post on the internet asking how to do it even though i do like a bit of diy!