PDA

View Full Version : Deer camp cooler

mustanger361
01-12-2008, 04:28 PM
The walk-in is a commercial Hobart box. It measures 98 cubic feet. (62 in. x39 in. by 70 in.) It is outside under a shed at a deer camp outside of Laredo, Tx. It is used to hold cleaned and cooled carcasses, and some processed meat, for short periods, 2-3 days, 7 days max., during the months of Nov./Dec./Jan. The Hobart tag inside the box states "3,000 BTU". It is a tiny box, with a tiny condensing unit, which has barely readable labels. All available data points to a 3,000 BTU system. My supplier advocates a 1/2 HP system for replacement. Twice the original capacity. Don't want to oversize. Seems like a relatively low demand. I have studied this forum and I know you will be cautious. But I am asking anyway.Can you give me your educated guess for sizing this system?

taz24
01-12-2008, 11:16 PM
The walk-in is a commercial Hobart box. It measures 98 cubic feet. (62 in. x39 in. by 70 in.) It is outside under a shed at a deer camp outside of Laredo, Tx. It is used to hold cleaned and cooled carcasses, and some processed meat, for short periods, 2-3 days, 7 days max., during the months of Nov./Dec./Jan. The Hobart tag inside the box states "3,000 BTU". It is a tiny box, with a tiny condensing unit, which has barely readable labels. All available data points to a 3,000 BTU system. My supplier advocates a 1/2 HP system for replacement. Twice the original capacity. Don't want to oversize. Seems like a relatively low demand. I have studied this forum and I know you will be cautious. But I am asking anyway.Can you give me your educated guess for sizing this system?

By my calculations 3000btu = approx 850w = approx 1hp.

For a fridge unit you will require a larger unit than if it was a freezer. Maybe that is where the discrepency lies.

Cheers taz.

tonyhavcr
02-12-2008, 02:43 AM
By my calculations 3000btu = approx 850w = approx 1hp.

For a fridge unit you will require a larger unit than if it was a freezer. Maybe that is where the discrepency lies.

Cheers taz.

hi taz I'm lost I think 12000btu / 3000 btu = 1/4 hp med temp 1/4 ton .

A walk-in is a commercial Hobart box (its is a reach in.
stay with the same size but ask your supplier why he/she advocates a 1/2 HP system for replacement.)

Sledge
04-12-2008, 05:05 AM
hi taz I'm lost I think 12000btu / 3000 btu = 1/4 hp med temp 1/4 ton .

A walk-in is a commercial Hobart box (its is a reach in.
stay with the same size but ask your supplier why he/she advocates a 1/2 HP system for replacement.)

probably because that is what he has in inventory.