PDA

View Full Version : best method for cooling water in swampcooler pan?

haderlump
14-03-2004, 04:24 AM
i want to drop the temp of my evaporative cooler`s water supply

its in the 60 or 70s and i want in the 40s!

the pump is 1100 gallons and the only loss is to evaporation.
the pan holds only a few gallons...

how can i chill this little setup?

Ron

Bones
14-03-2004, 05:11 AM
install reverse cycle....

is your dropper and duct all insulated?

i know guys round my way who install un-insulated droppers and nude duct to save dollars... the end result is super super heated air coming through after it gathers heat through your roofspace... with a temp difference of 5'c cooler then outside air... cheaper for them to install ceiling fans or get some pedistal fans to bow on them lol.

Peter_1
14-03-2004, 08:54 AM
.... its in the 60 or 70s and i want in the 40s!

I'm from beginning the 60's but there are few posters from the 40's, Shogun could answer your question, he's from around the 40's.

how can i chill this little setup?

Standard Watercooler, ground coil perhaps? :D

Question can't be answered seriously without more facts/figures

Where by God is scv ca? :confused:
I'm from zed wvl bel :p :confused:

RogGoetsch
15-03-2004, 06:12 AM
You have provided far too little information to give you any kind of meaningful answer.

What is the space you are cooling?

Normally an evaporative cooler is a once-through device. That is, the space being cooled must allow the air to escape to be replaced by more evaporatively cooled air.

If this is the way your space is designed, the system you are asking for would be much less efficient than an air-conditioning system that returned the room air to the unit for re-cooling.

Rog

haderlump
15-03-2004, 10:22 PM
wow OK

i am in southern California - Santa Clarita Valley
...it gets hot

i have a small home 700 sq ft
the evaporative works fine with ground water
...but i want to refrigerate the few gallons of water in the unit`s pan...

and yes, i open windows in the rooms i want cooled.
but the evaporative cooler releases air in the 70s fairenheit

couldnt it be colder if i could make the water in the unit lower than ambient temperature??

people put ice cubes in the water tray on hot days.
i want to emulate chilling the water with ice cubes
(this way i dont have to climb on the roof)

i want better cooling because i have multiple computers and other room-warming devices constantly heating up my small living quarters

thankyou thankyou,

Ron!

baker
16-03-2004, 03:44 AM
Assuming that your weather is similar to that of Perth, Australia, you will have hot, dry winds off the desert and cooler humid winds from the sea. Swamp coolers are excellent for the dry winds but less effective for winds off the sea. The cheapest solution is to use ductless splits in your hot rooms, and only operate them when the swampy can't handle the humidity.

If you still have high power prices there, inverter splits can be very cost effective. In Oz, 2 ton Daikin (top quality) inverter splits cost about $USD1200. Chinese 3/4 ton reverse cycle splits go for USD250 in the discount shops.

These would be far more comfortable than cooling the evaporative water, which would do little for the humidity.

chemi-cool
16-03-2004, 04:39 PM
hi ron.

your cooler sucks. it just no good. its probably of cheap kins.

evaporative cooler is fantastic if ambiant humidity is not over 60%

you should design the CFM of the fan to 20 air changing per hour.

get a good one, it will save running costs but expensive at purchase.

by the the way, baker's idea is good ;)

go to www.munters.com and have a free lesson.

good luck

chemi :)

frank
16-03-2004, 08:44 PM
In Oz, 2 ton Daikin (top quality) inverter splits cost about $USD1200.

Can you explain why we only get 3 year warranty in the UK but you get 5 year warranty on Daikin :confused:

Got to agree about the quality though :)

haderlump
16-03-2004, 11:18 PM
can i get a professional or something please?
and someone from the USA?

...cuz no one understands my ?

my cooler is NEW. PERFECT.

but how do you get cold air from warm water?

this ISNT an air conditioner, genius.

================================
i have ONE question:

how do you chill 4 gallons of standing water in a pan?

baker
17-03-2004, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by frank
Can you explain why we only get 3 year warranty in the UK but you get 5 year warranty on Daikin :confused:

Got to agree about the quality though :)

I think that it was Fujitsu that first started making a lot of noise about their 5 year warranty. Everyone else has had to match it. Even the cheap chinese splits that the supermarkets sell claim a 5 year warranty, although I have severe doubts as to how you would make a claim after a couple of years.

RogGoetsch
17-03-2004, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by haderlump
can i get a professional or something please?
and someone from the USA?

...cuz no one understands my ?

my cooler is NEW. PERFECT.

but how do you get cold air from warm water?

this ISNT an air conditioner, genius.

================================
i have ONE question:

how do you chill 4 gallons of standing water in a pan?

Actually, everyone understands your question. I started to write an explanation of how adiabatic cooling works but I don't think I want to spend the time, and that's probably how your question was received by others.

How would you like to cool the water without climbing on the roof? You realize, I hope, that it would quickly warm up again as it cooled the air, so you need a source of chilled water or a cooling coil immersed in the pan and operating continuously?

There are many ways of doing it, none of which, except adding ice, that isn't more trouble, more expensive or less efficient than buying an air conditioner.

If what you propose doing were practical, you would see many people doing it. But if you have a lot of time on your hands, enjoy learning new things and don't mind blowing a few bucks on failed attempts, get a book on refrigeration and have fun.

Good Luck

Rog

chemi-cool
17-03-2004, 05:21 PM
hi ron,

getting mad will not cool the water.

what you want is simple - buy a water chiller and cool the water, but that will be stupid.

in the process of cooling with evaporative cooler, the water suold get cold, down to 12C..

I do not know what kind of cooler you use but I have years of expiriance with evaporative coolers up to 100000CFM, that is large machines and they cool air at over 40C down to 22C.

that considered as very high COP and runing costs are small.

if you will invest in a machine to cool the water in the pan you will need a refrigerating machine that will cost more than a small air conditioner.

so the bestis go to a local refrigeration firm, ask them how much it will cost and work out what to do.

chemi ;)

haderlump
17-03-2004, 11:05 PM
celsius, eh?

and thanx Rog. thats the type of post that i understand...

actually, i have an air conditioner but it is dedicated to pulling moisture from the grow area in my closet.

the house stays around 80 F
the closet, the same

i need both my growroom and my home to be cooler
see, now? :cool: heh heh

..so i DONT CARE about 'costs'
..i already have a ~dehumidifier~
..and i really really WANT a PART NUMBER for a device to
COOL WATER

dont tell me im wrong, SELL ME SOMETHIN !!!! LOL

dont any of you actually sell or buy these things?

I`ll PAY YOU !!!!! g0g0g0! THANKS!

haderlump
17-03-2004, 11:09 PM
oh, sorry, i forgot to say what kinda store would sell me this
"water chiller" ??

i WILL buy one!
hell, i`ll buy an ice maker and have it drop the cubes into the tray !!

seriously, i want to mod my coola!

...i`ll post pix of this beast along with new temps and elec $$`s...

good site!
Ron

chemi-cool
18-03-2004, 05:57 AM
am I becoming a part of the AMERICAN DRUGS GROWERS ASSOCIATION?

chemi :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Bones
18-03-2004, 11:32 AM
haderlump,

what have at the moment is an evaporative cooler adding humidity to your house, this is how they work... (take outside air at its temperature and adds moisture too it) this is then entering your house...

then you have a dehumidifier removing the moisture added to your house by the evaporative cooler, defeating the whole purpose...

if you live in an area where the general humidity level is 50% or greater your cooling effectiveness will be greatly reduced to begin with. they do work extremely well for cooling for areas with a low humidy levels.

appart from the water being "cool" in your pan there are alot of factors... too many to mention which would could possibly make the air coming out of your cooler colder. for eg. your cooler is probably on your roof... heating water though solar radion deflecting from tiles/iron, cooling loss though the use of no insulation in roofspace or uninsulated ductwork etc etc...

i would never install one in my own home, just out of principal... water leaks stained roofs from chlorine and calcium etc.

i would rather a ducted split with just a filter to wash every few weeks that heats and cools (24/7 365) will not leak on my roof... suck water into my roof space should pads fall or pan overfill and only cool when all the variables are "right".

Baker,

Assuming that your weather is similar to that of Perth, Australia, you will have hot, dry winds off the desert and cooler humid winds from the sea. Swamp coolers are excellent for the dry winds but less effective for winds off the sea. The cheapest solution is to use ductless splits in your hot rooms, and only operate them when the swampy can't handle the humidity.

i cant say it any better then above... after the cost and hassle you would have to endure just to cool water in the cooler pan you could install a few splits.

superheat
12-07-2004, 08:52 PM
A mini split would have to remove the humidity added from the swamp cooler before it does any good.

You could put a chiller on the sump's supply line. This would work for those marginal days. You will be exhausting the air cooled by the water cooled by the chiller. It would lose eff. pretty quickly too.

You would have to do a economical study to see which way would be most eff. for your situation.

You would probably be best off using an AC system with an evaporative condenser. You would get the best of both types of systems.