PDA

View Full Version : Daikin Fault on Commissioning

mchild
28-11-2008, 04:32 PM
I have a new VRV-S system in my home with four FXSQ indoor units. Initially the system was commissioned with just two of the indoor units. Everything worked and there were no faults.

Several days later we finished the installation of the last two indoor units and Reset the outdoor unit as instructed in the Daikin install manual in order for the outdoor unit to recognize the two additional indoor units.

The two new indoor units have fault codes UF and UH. Both of these indicate a wiring issues between the outdoor unit and those two inoor units. We have confirmed the wiring daisy chain is correct on the F1 and F2 terminal between all units.

We have also confirmed that all the P1 and P2 daisy chain wiring is correct starting with the one wired remotre controller.

We have tried to bring both of the new units on line one at a time without the other to determine if the problem exists in one unit or the other (if it were a possible PCB issue). When we did this we did not have the F1/F2 nor the P1/P2 connection made to the unit we did not bringing on line. Got the same faults with the one unit at a time brought on.

We have also done a full re-commissioning by powering down all units and then first powered up the indoor units and then the outdoor unit. Once again the two new indoor units received the UF and UH fault codes.

We are looking for suggestions on what else to look for to correct these faults. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

cool#9
28-11-2008, 05:12 PM
Hi mchild.
When you add new units you simply need to press the TEST button 5 sec (on outdoor unit's main pcb).
Then wait 'til the test mode stops (20 to 40 mn max depending on your system setup) each indoor unit will be monitored under TEST OPERATION (cooling operation).
If you need to go faster, press RETURN during the TEST and cut the power supply of the whole indoor unit.
rgds
cool#9

mchild
28-11-2008, 05:35 PM
Hi mchild.
When you add new units you simply need to press the TEST button 5 sec (on outdoor unit's main pcb).
Then wait 'til the test mode stops (20 to 40 mn max depending on your system setup) each indoor unit will be monitored under TEST OPERATION (cooling operation).
If you need to go faster, press RETURN during the TEST and cut the power supply of the whole indoor unit.
rgds
cool#9

cool#9,

Thank you for your response. Yes, we have done exactly that - but pressing the Test button button did not correct the fault issues.

So, we have tried to get the system working without the faults by checking all the wiring, pressing the Reset and Test button and we still have the faults. Any thoughts as to what we should be checking to correct the faults?

cool#9
28-11-2008, 05:51 PM
ok if now you still have UF maybe you have a problem with one or two indoor unit# problem with the flow of refrigerant, check the pipes and the expansion valves of the failed units#
Try this:
_Press RETURN during the TEST, cut off the power and try again maybe you'll find a problem on one indoor unit -not cooling for example-
_Also try to reset the outdoor pcb : press the RESET button 5 sec, cut the outdoor supply and still press during 5 sec, turn ON the power, still press for 5 sec and after release.(press continiously 15 sec).
_try to check the number of indoor unit by mode 1 / code 5 / see the binary code from the right to the left.
Hope this helps
cool#9

mchild
28-11-2008, 06:05 PM
ok if now you still have UF maybe you have a problem with one or two indoor unit# problem with the flow of refrigerant, check the pipes and the expansion valves of the failed units#
Try this:
_Press RETURN during the TEST, cut off the power and try again maybe you'll find a problem on one indoor unit -not cooling for example-
_Also try to reset the outdoor pcb : press the RESET button 5 sec, cut the outdoor supply and still press during 5 sec, turn ON the power, still press for 5 sec and after release.(press continiously 15 sec).
_try to check the number of indoor unit by mode 1 / code 5 / see the binary code from the right to the left.
Hope this helps
cool#9

cool#9

When I press the Return during the Test - what power am I to cut off? And when you say try again do you mean try to commission again by pressing the Test button for 5 seconds?

I understand your second suggestion.

For your third suggestion - where do I read binary code? On the screen of the indoor remote controller?

I know that the remote controller can see all four indoor units as it has given unit number a number (0,1,2,3) and shows the fault codes for each. In your third suggestion are you speaking of the addressing done by the outdoor unit?

cool#9
28-11-2008, 06:44 PM
cool#9

When I press the Return during the Test - what power am I to cut off? And when you say try again do you mean try to commission again by pressing the Test button for 5 seconds?

I understand your second suggestion.

For your third suggestion - where do I read binary code? On the screen of the indoor remote controller?

I know that the remote controller can see all four indoor units as it has given unit number a number (0,1,2,3) and shows the fault codes for each. In your third suggestion are you speaking of the addressing done by the outdoor unit?

You have to cut off the indoor units if you stop the TEST by the RETURN button.
By "try again" i mean try to put the faulty units ON by the remote controler under normal use.
The binary code is displayed by the outdoor leds (orange coloured):
Press MODE once, the left led will blink, then press SET 5 times, after press RETURN.
Read the binary code from the right to the left -do not care of the state of the first led on the right-so that the second and the others.
1 led is 2^0=1
2nd led is 2^1=2
3rd led is 2^2=4
4th led is 2^3=8
etc...
Add each led you see and you'll find te number of indoor unit.
Good luck (not so easy te first time)
cool#9

mchild
28-11-2008, 07:04 PM
You have to cut off the indoor units if you stop the TEST by the RETURN button.
By "try again" i mean try to put the faulty units ON by the remote controler under normal use.
The binary code is displayed by the outdoor leds (orange coloured):
Press MODE once, the left led will blink, then press SET 5 times, after press RETURN.
Read the binary code from the right to the left -do not care of the state of the first led on the right-so that the second and the others.
1 led is 2^0=1
2nd led is 2^1=2
3rd led is 2^2=4
4th led is 2^3=8
etc...
Add each led you see and you'll find te number of indoor unit.
Good luck (not so easy te first time)
cool#9

Okay, I think I understand.

One additional issue we have been considering. Is there any chance these faults are caused by the F1/F2 cable that runs between the first set of units to the second set of units is too close to a regular wire carrying electricity through the home? The F1/F2 cable runs up a wall into the attic of the home and, of course, there are regular electrical wires in these areas.

subcoolman
28-11-2008, 07:56 PM
Okay, I think I understand.

One additional issue we have been considering. Is there any chance these faults are caused by the F1/F2 cable that runs between the first set of units to the second set of units is too close to a regular wire carrying electricity through the home? The F1/F2 cable runs up a wall into the attic of the home and, of course, there are regular electrical wires in these areas.

After pushing the reset button for 5 secs the system will not operate for a minimum of 12 mins whilst it goes through its set up procedure, as your are still experiencing the same problem i suspect the wiring check operation has failed to complete, two reasons for this - wiring check un successful if carried out after the outdoor unit has been off for more than 12 hours or if it is not carried out after running all connected indoor units in fan mode for at least 1 hour

mchild
28-11-2008, 08:12 PM
After pushing the reset button for 5 secs the system will not operate for a minimum of 12 mins whilst it goes through its set up procedure, as your are still experiencing the same problem i suspect the wiring check operation has failed to complete, two reasons for this - wiring check un successful if carried out after the outdoor unit has been off for more than 12 hours or if it is not carried out after running all connected indoor units in fan mode for at least 1 hour

subcoolman,

Good point. Each time I have done the Reset or Test I power everything down, wait a few minutes, power everything up and the immediately do the Reset or the Test.

As my system is currently running and has been for many hours, could I simply press the Test button without powering everything down and back up?

R1976
28-11-2008, 10:01 PM
Hi, transmission wires should not run with mains wiring, although i'd be surprised if this caused a problem as it doesn't run with it for a great amount.

If you want to prove the wiring then you could get a roll of 2 core 0.75 flex and run it in through your house, through doorways, etc. This is a bit extreme but when wired in will prove/ disprove your wiring.

Extreme wiring! it's my hobby!:cool:

mchild
28-11-2008, 10:04 PM
Hi, transmission wires should not run with mains wiring, although i'd be surprised if this caused a problem as it doesn't run with it for a great amount.

If you want to prove the wiring then you could get a roll of 2 core 0.75 flex and run it in through your house, through doorways, etc. This is a bit extreme but when wired in will prove/ disprove your wiring.

Extreme wiring! it's my hobby!:cool:

Thew transmission lines are not run with high voltage but it may cross some high voltage. Could that possibly be an issue?

frank
29-11-2008, 07:43 PM
My best guess is that you have a physical wiring error, and that is why you cannot clear the error code.

I would start again, disconnect all indoor units after the first one connected to the outdoor, do a full reset and then check how many units are 'seen' by the outdoor, as described by Cool#

If the outdoor unit sees just 1 indoor, progress to re-connect number 2 and reset etc. Repeat this until the problem shows up.

Long winded I know, but, back to basics always works for me.

mchild
29-11-2008, 08:35 PM
Thank you one and all. I have it figured out.

It is the second floor units that were the additional air handlers and the ones with the faults. I decided to test everything by trying to change temp significantly enough that the system would step each unit up to high fan in heat mode. And in fact that is what it did - high fan and heat from each unit.

Then I switched to cooling (had tried it since we are in winter here) and again set it for a large temp difference so system would ramp up. I then checked that the fan speed stepped up to high then checked the liquid line temp in mode 41. Each was cooling just as it was supposed to.

I had though the new air handlers were simply always in LL fan and not functioning because of the codes and the fan speed never changed. Well heat rises so apparently those new units have not had to work very hard yet.

Here is where the confusion has come from. We had thought the faults would be removed if the power was shut off to the entire system and apparently that is not the case. Therefore, each time I powered everything down and back up I saw the same fault codes and thought they were new faults, but were in fact the old faults. The faults must have been corrected with one of the many resets that have been done.

So, how do the faults get removed and the system can start with a clean slate?

Again, many thanks for all the guidance.

frank
29-11-2008, 08:43 PM
Good news.

To clear fault codes from the display on the controller, press and hold the on/off button for 10 secs until the displayed fault code disappears. Repeat to clear multiple codes (?)

The fault history (last 10 faults) can still be accessed in the 40 level engineers section.

mchild
29-11-2008, 11:04 PM
Good news.

To clear fault codes from the display on the controller, press and hold the on/off button for 10 secs until the displayed fault code disappears. Repeat to clear multiple codes (?)

The fault history (last 10 faults) can still be accessed in the 40 level engineers section.

Thank you.

NESMA
28-03-2009, 02:10 PM
Dear MESSERS
any body would assist us for U3 for the commissioning test where the H2P is blincking when we turned on the power of the VRV III

wardy2
28-03-2009, 02:56 PM
Nesma.
Once the power is available.
1. Power to indoor units do not turn on the controllers

2. Power to outdoor unit and turn on.

3. Wait for hp2 to stop flashing (can take 20 to 40 minutes

4. Start the test run as it says in your manual.

If hp2 does not go out there is a fault on the wiring most likely

The system should run in cooling for its initial test run.