PDA

View Full Version : Hi

Steve Williams
25-11-2008, 06:25 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just joined RE so thought I would be curteous and say hello.

I'm an ex Design Engineer for both AC&R systems - working primarily for the distributors in the past.

I thought I'd join here as I am now a Commercial Energy Assessor and about to become an Air Conditioning Energy Assessor. Part of the new government legislation covering the energy performance directive of buildings is the soon to be legal requirement to provide Energy Performance Certificates for AC systems above 12KW.

So, thought I'd join up and see what the industry is saying, if anything about this?

All the best

Steve

Grizzly
25-11-2008, 07:33 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just joined RE so thought I would be curteous and say hello.

I'm an ex Design Engineer for both AC&R systems - working primarily for the distributors in the past.

I thought I'd join here as I am now a Commercial Energy Assessor and about to become an Air Conditioning Energy Assessor. Part of the new government legislation covering the energy performance directive of buildings is the soon to be legal requirement to provide Energy Performance Certificates for AC systems above 12KW.

So, thought I'd join up and see what the industry is saying, if anything about this?

All the best

Steve

Personally I am not that impressed.
(that's not a dig at you by the way!)
Grizzly

Steve Williams
25-11-2008, 09:11 PM
OK, why is that exactly?

nh3wizard
25-11-2008, 09:28 PM
Being from the United States it really sounds like the UK is extremely regulated.

Grizzly
25-11-2008, 09:59 PM
OK, why is that exactly?
OK I will put it another way.
What does the certificate have to say and if there are any suggested improvements.
Are they mandatory or recommendations?
Iceman
Yes we are if you play ball.
My problem is there is an army of people who will tell me when I can't do something.
But when you ask in reply "OK I can't do it that way!
How can I do it?"
The silence is deafening!!!!
Fill your boots Steve.
I am sure there will be plenty of work for you.
It's just that we have been telling customers forever
that you need to do this or do that.
And if you insist enough unless they are a large concern who needs to be seen to care.
They go elsewhere!

When there is a system that is enforced.
Then i will wholeheartedly sign up.
Or to put it another way how many of the guys on this forum.
Know of anyone being prosecuted for negligent refrigerant releases?
Until then my Teeshirt is wearing a bit thin.
Oh I nearly forgot !
How much is all this going to cost?

Brian_UK
25-11-2008, 09:59 PM
Yep, the Government seems to think that by taxing, as heavily as they can, anyone who doesn't hug a tree or polish their carbon covered footprints then everything will be alright with the world.

They seem to ignore the fact that it takes time and expense, which is in short supply presently, to change over to highly efficient products, if made yet.

[/rant] Sorry, I'll go sit in the corner quietly for a few minutes.....

[edit] Must type quicker, Grizzly beat me to it ;)

[edit 2] Sorry, forgot my manners, welcome to the forum Steve, hope you enjoy the discussions :)

Iceman1956
25-11-2008, 11:37 PM
Welcome Steve,
I know the name did you work for Dunham Bush.
Whilst I side with Brian and Grizzly. Someone has to do it. Good luck.