PDA

View Full Version : Daikin Controller

mchild
18-11-2008, 11:23 PM
I have a new Daikin VRV-S system and I am having difficulty understanding the operation on the controller. I have one controller with four indoor FXSQ ducted air handlers. Each air handler zone has a remote sensor. The controller model is BRC1D71, which may be a U.S. only unit and it seems similar to BDC1C71. It is a controller that also has a scheduled timer-set back feature.

The instructions indicate that the following operating modes are available Dry, Fan, Auto, Cool, and Heat. Also, for the fan there is L, H, HH, and Auto to be available. For the opearting mode and the fan there is not an Auto available. For the fan I only have L and H available. How do I set it to switch between cooling and heating automatically?

I see in the installation manaual that there was suppose to be a message on the controller after the commissioning that sates: Changerover Under Control and that the installer is to pick which contoller is to be the master controller and press the operation mode button. My installer does not remember seeing that message after the commissioning and since there is only one controller, maybe there wasn't such a message. Is this contributing to my problems?

I was under the impression that with one controller it could be used to set individual temps for each of the four zones. No where in the instructions does it provide information for making such a setting. I can set the various different field setting for the group or the four individual zones but not the temperature for the zones? Is this not possible?

Thank you for your help and guidance.

frank
19-11-2008, 10:04 PM
You cannot set Auto mode change over on a 2 pipe system. When you first switch on, at commissioning, all the controllers 'blink'. The first one you address becomes the Master.

Heat Cool change over then has to be done at the Master.

One controller has one set point, not multiple set points, so, if you require individual set points, you need to add further controllers

mchild
19-11-2008, 10:35 PM
You cannot set Auto mode change over on a 2 pipe system. When you first switch on, at commissioning, all the controllers 'blink'. The first one you address becomes the Master.

Heat Cool change over then has to be done at the Master.

One controller has one set point, not multiple set points, so, if you require individual set points, you need to add further controllers

So with only one controller, it must be the master. Every set of instructions say that the Auto mode can be selected and no notes that it would not be available with a two pipe system. I did not understand the need for multiple controllers to have different set points. Thanks for the info.

mchild
22-11-2008, 11:49 AM
But what about the fan setting? I do not have the Auto mode shown on the controller for the fan, only L and H. Does the fan default to Auto and change speeds as the load changes or is there a setting to get it to do that?

frank
22-11-2008, 08:34 PM
If the 'Auto' fan mode does not display then that option is not available for your installed fan coils.

Bear in mind that this controller is used for a multitude of indoor units, therefore, some functions may or may not apply to your installation.

Fan speed Hi or Low is quite a common option.

mchild
23-11-2008, 01:05 AM
If the 'Auto' fan mode does not display then that option is not available for your installed fan coils.

Bear in mind that this controller is used for a multitude of indoor units, therefore, some functions may or may not apply to your installation.

Fan speed Hi or Low is quite a common option.

While I only have the L and H setting available at the fan mode button the units change speed regularly - just as I would expect the Auto function to be. Does that make sense? Once the set point temp has been met they rarely move off very low speed and when it does it normally is only for a few minutes and then back down to very low air flow.

brunstar
23-11-2008, 03:10 PM
Hi there in relation to your 2 pipe system there are a few options for you.
With the Daikin VRV if you want individual setpoints on the systems you will need a controller on each indoor unit otherwise they will all work on the set point, which is on the controller.
As for auto mode, for heating the indoor fan will work in auto mode slowing down to low low when at setpoint and then speeding up on rise on indoor coil temp. you can select fan off with compressor if you want but it is better on low low as you avoid stratification this way and it will control better.

As for auto mode, you can use a heat cool selector switch which can be wired into the outdoor unit terminals A B C.
otherwise you can have change over groups if you have an i touch controller.
The reason that you do not have the under centralised sybol up is that you only have one controller, as soon as you put another controller on the system you will have to choose a master.
On our 2 pipe system you can choose auto heat cool change over, which is programmed at the outdoor unit pcb and then you will have the auto symbol on the controller if you want to use it.
if you want the auto mode information e mail me at brunstar111@hotmail.com
good luck

Thermatech
23-11-2008, 03:15 PM
LL fan speed is for heating mode only when unit is at set point.
Cooling mode fan stays at speed set at remote controller.

I would suggest the cost effective solution for your remote control problem is to install another 3 remote controllers as the central controller does not really give you any significant advantage but cost a lot more than 3 standard remote controllers & its not the easiest of things to use.

But with 4 standard remote controllers you would have full temperature & fan speed control at each unit & one can be made the master to fix the mode.

mchild
23-11-2008, 03:55 PM
Hi there in relation to your 2 pipe system there are a few options for you.
With the Daikin VRV if you want individual setpoints on the systems you will need a controller on each indoor unit otherwise they will all work on the set point, which is on the controller.
As for auto mode, for heating the indoor fan will work in auto mode slowing down to low low when at setpoint and then speeding up on rise on indoor coil temp. you can select fan off with compressor if you want but it is better on low low as you avoid stratification this way and it will control better.

As for auto mode, you can use a heat cool selector switch which can be wired into the outdoor unit terminals A B C.
otherwise you can have change over groups if you have an i touch controller.
The reason that you do not have the under centralised sybol up is that you only have one controller, as soon as you put another controller on the system you will have to choose a master.
On our 2 pipe system you can choose auto heat cool change over, which is programmed at the outdoor unit pcb and then you will have the auto symbol on the controller if you want to use it.
if you want the auto mode information e mail me at brunstar111@hotmail.com
good luck

Thank you.

mchild
23-11-2008, 04:02 PM
LL fan speed is for heating mode only when unit is at set point.
Cooling mode fan stays at speed set at remote controller.

I would suggest the cost effective solution for your remote control problem is to install another 3 remote controllers as the central controller does not really give you any significant advantage but cost a lot more than 3 standard remote controllers & its not the easiest of things to use.

But with 4 standard remote controllers you would have full temperature & fan speed control at each unit & one can be made the master to fix the mode.

Thanks for the suggestion. I may have to do that but part of the issue was keeping the wife happy about not having controllers all over the home. She was much relieved when she saw the small remote temp sensors. I assured her that was all that was needed. We have children and we all know how curious they can be - I don't want them messing with the system. I may be able to hide the other controllers in a closet or something and use the remote sensors for room temp control.

Just trying to figure out my options at this point. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thermatech
23-11-2008, 04:21 PM
The controllers dont have to be in the same room as the indoor unit.
You can put them all together in one location so long as you can get the 2 core cable form the indoor unit to the remote controller.

At the moment you will have a 2 core daisey chain cable from the remote controller to all 4 indoor units.
This will need to be discarded & new cable run from each indoor unit back to its remote controller.

mchild
24-11-2008, 02:34 AM
The controllers dont have to be in the same room as the indoor unit.
You can put them all together in one location so long as you can get the 2 core cable form the indoor unit to the remote controller.

At the moment you will have a 2 core daisey chain cable from the remote controller to all 4 indoor units.
This will need to be discarded & new cable run from each indoor unit back to its remote controller.

Oh yes, I understand that would need to be done. Thank you.