PDA

View Full Version : New Building, New Units!!!

Fett
18-11-2008, 11:54 PM
Hello everyone. I am pretty new and the company I worked for has moved into a massive new warehouse. New Warehouse! New Units!!! Phew less work for me right? Wrong!

Here is my first question. These are new units and am wondering what are a few things that I should look for as far as inspecting the quality of the installation from the company that installed these. There are 20-5TON Carrier WeatherMasters packaged units along with 30 split units with 3TON Carrier Condensing Units. All of which are scroll compressor units. I'm not worried about the EVAP Coolers as a different company installed those and they look pristine!!

My first walkthrough on the roof I saw exterior panel damage on a few of the packaged units and a bunch of electrical junction boxes without faceplates. Also missing shrader caps on the condensing units and poor insulation of the suction lines.

My further inspections noted 4 units with large amounts of furious bubbling in the sight glass with the unit in normal operation 1 of which was milky white. The unit with milky white bubbles in the sight glass also noted that the condensing unit is nearly completely covered in an oily dirt substance (like the unit was covered in oil and then dirt). Also about half of the condensing units did not have sigh glasses!!

The Condensing units are sectioned together in groups of 5 and all of the piping comes together and goes down 1 hole (omg if there is ever a leak I am screwed). I am dissapointed that the company did not shell out for a small chiller with a bunch of evaporator units.

We have a 60,000 square foot cold room(65-75degree F) and a 20,000 square foot keg room(40-50degree F). I am not worried about the two units that run these two rooms as there were installed by a different company that handles large units. I looked them over and it looks like they did a fine job.

My main concern are all these small air conditioners for the office section of our building. Is there anything else I should be looking for as far as inspection wise other than what I have already stated?

Thanks for your awnsers guys!!!

Fett

P.S. Finished School and good to go. :)

Brian_UK
19-11-2008, 12:24 AM
Hi Fett, sounds like you have a air amount of remedial work on your hands.

Milky white bubbles and oily stains means a leak and gas shortages. Time to get the bubble solution and /or leak sniffer to work.

Does the roof have easy access and waterproof storage for tools etc.?

Fett
19-11-2008, 12:36 AM
Brian, as of yet there is no storage on the roof. I am not sure that is allowed here in Arizona due to the heat.

Brian_UK
19-11-2008, 12:58 AM
I was only thinking of somewhere for some tools of spares etc.

NH3LVR
19-11-2008, 02:59 AM
Keg Room? Sounds like somewhere I might like to work!

Fett
19-11-2008, 04:40 PM
I was only thinking of somewhere for some tools of spares etc.

Yeah I hear ya... nothing like lugging a tool bag up a 25 foot verticle ladder.

Fett
19-11-2008, 04:43 PM
Keg Room? Sounds like somewhere I might like to work!

Perhaps, but I am here instead. :P