PDA

View Full Version : Freezing Fridge

gwilliamson
18-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Hi Chaps

Not my usual area as normally stick to AC but i would appreciate your help with a friends problem.

The only info i have is its a fridge and keeps freezing up. They have already changed the stat and its still the same.

Sorry to be so vague but its all the info i have which was emailed to me from an old work colleage.

Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Kind regards

Gareth

Iceman1956
18-11-2008, 08:36 PM
Will need a little more info on this one. What type of evaporator does it have ?. is the freezing located to one part of the evaporator. is it fridge/freezer of stand alone fridge. if you can post a little more info, may be able to give you some pointers were to look.

tonto33
18-11-2008, 08:48 PM
as iceman says need more info make and model please

Electrocoolman
18-11-2008, 08:50 PM
Firstly: Has your friend fitted the correct sort of thermostat?

Secondly: Is it wired correctly? Some have a switch in series with the thermostat contacts.

nike123
19-11-2008, 11:25 AM
To narrow this, you should first establish if compressor is running non-stop or it stops and starts by call from thermostat.

gwilliamson
20-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Ok , Have a little more info for you. I will check to see if the comp is running constantly although it is definatley running.

Fridge is a hotpoint RLA34G and it appears to be the plate covering the evap which is freezing up badly.

PS, its a fridge only ie no freezer compartment.

many thanks

Gareth

Electrocoolman
20-11-2008, 08:15 PM
Sounds more and more like the thermostat is the problem area.
Look at wiring.
Look to see if end of capillary is correctly sited so as to sense the evap temperature.
Whilst you are looking at the 'stat, make a note of its number...this can then give an idea of its type....standard or auto defrost.

tonto33
20-11-2008, 09:09 PM
as electrocoolman says check thermostat it should be standard danfoss type (part no 5045170963477) cant really mess up wiring as only 3 wires and earth.

gwilliamson
22-11-2008, 11:08 AM
Just an update,

The Compressor is indeed switching on and off via the stat.

nike123
22-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Just an update,

The Compressor is indeed switching on and off via the stat.

Then check door seal for air tightness. After opening end closing, it should stick if you try to open it after few seconds! Or, check with paper that it not slips when doors are closed and paper is between housing and door seal.
Also check that liquid and moist food and drinks are covered with lids etc...

If fridge is combination fridge freezer with small freezer compartment check that it has all partitions and lids at place.

Andy_CTC_Ref
22-11-2008, 12:10 PM
as already said, check the end of the stat is located in the correct place. and check its the correct stat fitted, ie, air temp or evap temp stat! the model number for the stat has been given in a previous post.

I would say it is one of the above if the whole evap is freezing.

If only part of the evap is freezing id say short of refrigerant.

But with out seeing the fridge............

gwilliamson
22-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Many thanks Chaps, have relayed all the info on and will let you know the response.

My colleage is a cellar service engineer so should have half a clue what he is doing!!

Regards Gareth

gwilliamson
03-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Ok, i have some more precise information.

He has changed the stat to the correct danfoss one and made sure the capillary is sited on the evaporator exactly where the old one came off.

The Evap is still freezing up and the compressor never seems to switch off unless you switch the whole fridge off at the mains regardless of where the stat is set to 1 - 5.

Do you all think this pointing towards refrigerant?

I am assured the seals are good.

Thanks , Gareth

tonto33
04-12-2008, 12:01 AM
try a regas on it