PDA

View Full Version : question i cant find an answer to

jaeck75
17-11-2008, 08:33 PM
what effect generaly speaking of refrigerant weight of charge would there be if you were retrofittiong a system to a hydrocarbon refrigerant?
ive just got my results from my handling and refrigerant exams but cant find an answer to this question any help would be much appreciated
(from a new refrigerant engineer)

Andy
17-11-2008, 09:47 PM
what effect generaly speaking of refrigerant weight of charge would there be if you were retrofittiong a system to a hydrocarbon refrigerant?
ive just got my results from my handling and refrigerant exams but cant find an answer to this question any help would be much appreciated
(from a new refrigerant engineer)

Hello jaeck75,

from memory less refrigerant is required.

Kind Regards Andy

McGuiver
18-11-2008, 02:59 AM
From what refrigerant to what refrigerant are you retro fitting? If you are retrofitting a R12 to 414b it would take 80% of charge, if its a 134a to 414b it would be 90% of charge.. But, yes typicly, it will be less depending on the replacment refrigerents makeup and temp glide. You can refer to the new refigerents TP chart and compare it to the old refigerent and see the pressure difference and calculate the charge difference knowing the volume of refigerent needed to acheive a certain pressure at a given temperature.

theapprentice
20-11-2008, 07:06 AM
is there any chance you could do a demo to show us how to calculate the charge using the tp chart. say like r22 to r407c

penguinkiller
21-11-2008, 01:51 PM
Why do that? you need to spend a load of money on oil changes.

drop in some r417a for DX or r422d for water chillers.