PDA

View Full Version : A simple question

jflebeuf
17-11-2008, 03:08 AM
Hi all i have a question about the oil separator

for sizing a oil separator i need the nominal capacity in tons of refrigeration at evaporator temperature .....

what is it exactly

My rack have two Compressor (134 000 btu/h at 15F each)
Total : 268 000 btu/h or 22.33 Ton it is my nominal capacity ???

sorry for my english im french

Thx for your help

bawws
17-11-2008, 12:18 PM
esk-schultze is a german company that produce and supply different equipments for refrigeration plants. Please search for it with google and got to the documentation to find how they dimension the oil separator (Sorry i could not give you the link to the site policy)

I hope that you find something useful.

Robert.

US Iceman
17-11-2008, 04:07 PM
The oil separator capacity should be selected on the basis on the total compressor capacity. In your example, it would be the two compressors. You should also verify with the separator manufacturer if they have a minimum capacity for the separator.

The use of Tons and the evaporating temperature is a short cut method for selecting the components. The oil separator is actually sized on discharge CFM, however by using the manufacturers short cut method it is easier for others to properly select the correct separator.

When one compressor shuts off, the volume flow through the separator is 1/2 of the total. Sometimes oil separators do not work at their peak efficiency during partial capacity.