PDA

View Full Version : Sacked for complaining !

Testech
13-11-2008, 10:11 AM
I recently started work for a one man band based in Kent.
After a big gap in the Refrigeration and AC industry, I was assuming that it might be a good move for the future.
I was trained to City & Guilds level in the 1990's, so knew the basics so to speak.
I have a basic qualification in electrical installation and a current CCNSG and CSCS engineering skills card.
Employed as a mate, I was expected to fetch,carry and drill, which I accepted as par for the course.
The guy I worked for was a complete nutter, and everyday broke every rule in the book.
I know people cut corners in any trade, but these corners were dangerous and un-lawful.
Venting vast quantities of R22, making 20Amp fuses from copper pipe, chucking old fridge oil down the drain, fly tipping rubbish, the list was endless...
I was driving to work at 5.30am and getting home at 7.00pm on a basic £6.00hr without overtime wage.
I complained, and guess what ? - Told I was being let go !...in a nutshell SACKED.
I wrote two letters, one to the HSE and one to DEFRA, there not interested at all.
I wrote to the Skillscard centre,there not interested either.
Now I know every industry has it's cowboys, but how is this fool getting away with it ?.
I wanted to re-learn the trade in a safe and correct manner, how wrong could I have been.
Now on the dole, I wonder what this world is all about.

nike123
13-11-2008, 11:36 AM
Now on the dole, I wonder what this world is all about.

Mostly, to rip you off for certifications!;)

Argus
13-11-2008, 02:32 PM

If you think that you have been unfairly dismissed, use the employment tribunal.

http://www.employmenttribunals.gov.uk/about_employment_tribunals.asp

Best to start with the CAB who will point you in the right direction.

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/getadvice.htm

nh3wizard
13-11-2008, 02:43 PM
It sounds like the guy did you a favor by letting you go, now you can go on to bigger and better jobs and be able to do it the right way... Good luck to you in your future endeavors:D

Testech
13-11-2008, 03:44 PM
Thanks Guys...for your support.

Didn't sign any contract of employment.

You win some and you loose some eh !

chillin out
13-11-2008, 05:00 PM
Didn't sign any contract of employment.
Neither have I but I bet my employers will hold me to it anyway. Just because you didn't sign anything doesn't mean you don't have a contract of employment.

I also wish you luck with your future which will be a lot better now you are rid of this company.

Chillin:):)

nh3wizard
13-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Is it customary in the UK to have a contract of employment? And what are the advantages and dis-advantages?

Argus
13-11-2008, 06:57 PM

Is it customary in the UK to have a contract of employment? And what are the advantages and dis-advantages?

Yes.

There is no question of advantage or disadvantage, the employer must offer employment within the terms of the law and provide a contract to support it.

UK Employment law is a complex area.

Much of it is harmonised throughout the EU, so that the basic laws governing working hours, for example, are the same, though the UK has an opt-out clause.
Employees can opt not to work overtime and disciplinary action as a result would be unlawful.

Employers have an obligation to ensure safe and legal work practice.

Having said that, it's not entirely clear cut; the employer has expectations that the employee has to provide. It will be in the terms of the contract which is there to protect the interests of both parties.
This is why it's a complex area and in reality, a two way street.

nh3wizard
13-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Can you negotiate wages, cost of living raises, annual raises, health benefits in the contract? Is there a link where I can read about the contracts?

Testech
15-11-2008, 11:12 AM
Hello to sunny Florida.

Most but not all contracts have this type of basic information on them.

1. Job Description.
2. Hours Of Employment.
3. Details of wages including O/T rates etc.
4. Details of holiday entitlement.
5. Details of sick pay payments if any.
6. Details of pension schemes

In the UK we pay into the national insurance scheme, but you have the choice to join a private medical scheme as well.
Some good employers offer private medical care.

Not many companies offer rises or pay increases, and in the UK at present, I am assured that wage levels will start being reduced.

The US sneezed and the UK got a cold !!..

Merry Xmas x;)

Brian_UK
15-11-2008, 11:44 PM
Here's a link to a rough guide to the Contract of Employment in the UK.

http://www.yourrights.org.uk/yourrights/rights-of-workers/contracts-of-employment/the-contract-of-employment.html

dogma
16-11-2008, 01:32 PM
I have been in a similar situation Testech. For 6 months I was paid well under award, proformed many dubious and very illegal practices to save money at my employers request, all the time he promised me he would sign me on so I could finnish my time. He owes me well over $AUD8000 but I know if I take action against him to retrieve the money I'll get a bad name and may not be taken on by other employers.

Sometimes I think it's better to cop one on the chin and learn from whats happened.

...... Your past employer would know you'd have him by the short and curlies if you could prove to the regulating bodies he's a dodgy cracker.

:) My advice, walk away with one up your sleeve and keep your chin up.

_DOGMA-

richelli
16-11-2008, 08:37 PM
wrong section lol

nh3wizard
18-11-2008, 03:33 PM
Here's a link to a rough guide to the Contract of Employment in the UK.

http://www.yourrights.org.uk/yourrights/rights-of-workers/contracts-of-employment/the-contract-of-employment.html

Thanks for the info. Brian