View Full Version : Confused!!!

08-03-2004, 11:41 PM
It is said that the molecules in a solid are held rather closely together by their cohesion. However, some of the molecules near the surface break away from the rest of the molecules and jump clear away from the solid. They fly off into the air or other space and never come back. That is, they become vapor.
What is that called? and could someone give me 2 or 3 examples? Apprenticeman


09-03-2004, 12:54 AM
I believe that the process is called sublimation and examples at normal pressure are CO2 in the form of dry ice and iodine.

10-03-2004, 12:27 AM
Thanks baker, I didn't know that iodine could sublimate!

11-03-2004, 08:22 PM
If not vapor or gas then what are they?

12-03-2004, 04:17 AM
You seem to be suffering from a brain hernia (pettifoggin) I believe they call it in your neck of the wood.

"Lone ranger molecules doing the brownian line dance moves".
Thats not even funny

Roger, Technical Decapitator! :D

15-03-2004, 02:48 AM
Hmmmm... Can there be such a thing as a lone line dance? Pretty short line.