PDA

View Full Version : Air-conditioning (cooling) for Oman?

cifp48
09-11-2008, 04:25 PM
Hello,

Thanks for clicking on my post.

This is my first post! I am new here.

I have a situation where by there is a 200 room hotel project, in Muscat, Oman (Very hot touching 52c! in peak summer) total built up area is 13,000 sqm, spread over 9 floors. I have been suggested 530-600 tons of airconditioning. Local suppliers are pushing water chiller systems like Trane, Carrier, York and the others are pushing VRV/VRF (Sanyo & Daiken).

There is an option for Split/ducted split aswell as Cassette type units.

I would appreciate some professional advice/comparison on this issue.

Many thanks

nike123
09-11-2008, 06:30 PM
I would go with water chiller with water tower as condenser in your extremes of outdoor temperature.
I am not sure that VRV/VRF units will feel good with that outdoor temperatures.
Also, I would done that with 3 smaller units rather than one big to have good redundancy.
Indoor I would recommend some good fan coil systems which could easily be integrated in Building management automation system.
I know that Daikin makes his fan-coils in this Company (http://www.galletti.it/)

P.S. Do not buy their chillers, they are big piece of sh.t!

boh
15-11-2008, 11:41 PM

but i have only one cooment that may helps .. in my point view i prefer u to install spilt units in every room more than to put packege unit ..
that will be easier for future maintanance. coz if the packege unit gone out of order that means all the rooms will be hot and all the gustes will complain ..but if only one room u can move the guet him-her self to other room ,, then u take u r time to to reapire or order spare parts needed..

Electrocoolman
16-11-2008, 11:41 AM
I would agree with Nike on the chilled water route.
I would also look at heat recovery from the chillers into the hotel hot water system (and swimming pool)
I would also consider ice bank storage to reduce the daytime load. This would possibly allow you to use smaller chillers.
The ice bank is regenerated during the night when temperatures are (possibly) lower and maybe electricity charges are cheaper.
3 chillers (possibly different capacities) would give you redundancy for breakdown and service.

nike123
16-11-2008, 07:06 PM

but i have only one cooment that may helps .. in my point view i prefer u to install spilt units in every room more than to put packege unit ..
that will be easier for future maintanance. coz if the packege unit gone out of order that means all the rooms will be hot and all the gustes will complain ..but if only one room u can move the guet him-her self to other room ,, then u take u r time to to reapire or order spare parts needed..

Now imagine what would architect of that building would say if he see 200 outdoor units on that building.
He would probably shoot someone or himself!
Second, what is difference between VRF and single split unit in handling high outdoor temperatures?
Think about that again!

The MG Pony
17-11-2008, 04:32 AM

You sound vary ignorant of larg systems, best not to speak of that which you not off!

As others have said for a system this scale a chilled water system is the only real option and as sugested Ice bank is worth looking into as is heat recovery for domestic hot water and pools and such would allow some off seting of the cost of running the chillers.
2 to 3 three central plants as stated offers good redundancy.

Toosh
17-11-2008, 08:28 AM
[QUOTE=cifp48;125326]Hello,

I have a situation where by there is a 200 room hotel project, in Muscat, Oman (Very hot touching 52c! in peak summer) total built up area is 13,000 sqm, spread over 9 floors. I have been suggested 530-600 tons of airconditioning. Local suppliers are pushing water chiller systems like Trane, Carrier, York and the others are pushing VRV/VRF (Sanyo & Daiken).

Many thanks[/QUOT

Hi The only way to got in the Mid East on a project that size is centrifugal water chillers, I speak from experience having worked in mid east for 14 years

Noerm:D

Toosh
17-11-2008, 08:29 AM
[QUOTE=cifp48;125326]Hello,

Many thanks[/QUOT

Hi The only way to got in the Mid East on a project that size is centrifugal water chillers, I speak from experience having worked in mid east for 14 years

Norm:D

sunilkumarhvac
18-11-2008, 06:12 AM
hai
I prefer VRV becuase of the system flexibility means you can select different type of indoor unit models as per your requirement and powersaving long life, problem free only maintanance required is filter and condenser cleaning, also there is high ambient units available to meet your outdoor temparature range and also daikin vrv having i-manager facility through that your receptionist can operate and monitor all room airconditioners, IF WE CALCULATING THE ANNUAL POWER CONCEPTION IT WILL BE 40% POWER SAVING COMPARING TO CHILLER (one of your tenent wants cooling in winter season then also you have to operate the chiller and its water circulation system for that but for vrv this power conception will be only for one unit)MAINTANANCE COST WILL BE 40% LESS WHILE COMPARING WITH CHILLER(no pump or water circulation system so no more chemical treatment also required) All the system having its own stand by operation for emergency operation so no standby units required.

brunstar
23-11-2008, 08:28 PM
are you near the ocean, if so i would be using a Daikin 2 pipe vrv water cooled and you can reject the heat to the ocean which will be effective as you do not have to worry about the ambients of 50 plus.
you will need less space for the condensing units also..

otherwise why not a Daikin chiller.

mkardehi
03-12-2008, 06:26 AM
centrifugal chiller is the best option for that case , also because of low fuel prices in Oman absorbtion chillers could be economical too
In my opinion forget about vrv vrf and split units and split duct units , they will make you lots of problems
another economical solution is using gulf water to cool down your system except using cooling towers