PDA

View Full Version : Water Inlet + Outlet

fredrick_more
07-11-2008, 08:01 PM
Hey guys,

Great news, i manged to get another chiller for free from a local pub that wanted rid of one.

However the problem is that its quite different to my old one, it has a water inlet and outlet pipe connections, and the water outlet is pumped out of the unit through the pump at the centre of the metal heat exchanger pipes.

Now my question is, cause im using it as an aqaurium chiller (which will be joined up to a thermostat) can I
a) disconnect the pump or
b) rig it up so that the pump just pumps it back into the resavor (so just a loop)

Cheers guys, your help has been so helpful.

Phil

Brian_UK
07-11-2008, 10:29 PM
I think it is back to "have you got a photo for us to look at" time again, sorry.

Surely it would make sense to maintain the unit as is. The pump should be sized correctly for the unit duty.

Trying to remember your set-up,,,,, do you have a separate reservoir with it's own pump serving the aquarium?

fredrick_more
08-11-2008, 09:08 AM
Hey Brian,

Ill get you a photo tonight, i only got it last night and didnt have to much time to have a look at it.

Yeah it first goes into a pressuied filter and then to the pump, through the chiller and then back into tank. However i might change it round slighty and have the chiller seperate to the filter, by having a new pump.

fredrick_more
16-11-2008, 03:30 PM
Hey Brian,
sorry for the delay in getting these pics up, was a bit busy and then just forgot about it.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k208/fredrickmore/DSC00154.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k208/fredrickmore/DSC00155.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k208/fredrickmore/DSC00156.jpg

richelli
16-11-2008, 08:39 PM
Have never worked on any but some of the beer chillers that I have seen when working in pubs, work by passing the beer through the chiller so you might have lots of in and out connections for each beer as one chiller can sometimes chill maybe ten beers. the other in and out connection which is sometimes used is in and out water flow to a heat eacheanger out side to get rid of the heat made by the unit. It is done with water rather than refrigerant so the brewery guys dont have to run fridge pipes. You may find that the condensor inside the machine you have is water cooled, which would then pass the heat to the wall mounted heat exchanger outside. Hope that makes sense. Never seen in one but a presume thats what happens. Flash coolers I think there called although there may be many different types

Electrocoolman
17-11-2008, 12:27 AM
Some chillers supply a cooling loop of pipe to the "python".
This is the multi-pipe beer supply line from the cellar to the bar. If its long, the trapped beer in the pipes can warm up, as its only chilled when it passes through the chiller bath.

fredrick_more
20-11-2008, 07:11 PM
Heys guys

Cheers for the replies, so what do i need to (reducing water temperature by about 6oC) for my case?

Should i just stop the pump/mixer or should i just loop it straight back into the unit?

Electrocoolman
20-11-2008, 08:08 PM
I think your pump does two functions....one pumps water up the python loop.....the other (propellor on the bottom of the shaft) circulates the water in the water tank to stop it freezing up at any one point.

I would just loop the python feed back on itself to tank.

The thermostat should sense the water temperature in the water bath and be adjustable.

fredrick_more
25-11-2008, 12:56 PM
cheers for advice, ive got the joy of cleaning it out first, the smell of very old guiness is not nice lol