PDA

View Full Version : public footpath regs

SkyWalker
06-11-2008, 07:21 PM
we are currently quoting 3 heat pump (packaged splits) condensers at high level of an office block, the units are actually above a public footpath which runs right next to the office, its also used for fire escape,

my question - should my boss include condensate drip trays as an option or mandatory?

im not sure where the regs lie and was just interested for future reference. has anyone else come across this before?

thanks for any input much appreciaited

Brian_UK
06-11-2008, 07:42 PM
I don't know the regulations but common sense would say that you fit condensate trays.

One other question, OK two parts but... are you going to be on public land when fitting them and what about future maintenance ?

frank
06-11-2008, 10:10 PM
I would also ask the Council if Planning Permission was needed.

Always better to ask first than argue after :confused:

Argus
07-11-2008, 09:11 AM

An interesting point, Frank.

Permission is needed to even erect a sign in a public place (in the UK, I should add), so the local authorities will almost certainly require planning consent to put these units above a public footpath because your client does not own the freehold of the footpath. So it's best to check with the local planners.
They can get very uppity if they feel ignored.

It may be withheld because, as you said, it is an emergency escape route - overhead items can be a falling hazard in a fire.

Andy W
07-11-2008, 06:01 PM
Also dont let the condensate drain to the footpath as this could be an hazard if the condensate freezes in the winter months.