PDA

View Full Version : Designing a System

rvitrih
06-11-2008, 05:04 AM
Hi Friends,

I am in my last semester of a Mechanical Engineering degree and require a little help from you experts. In a major project my team and I need to design a cold storage warehouse, to store various fruits, meats, milk and eggs. The cooler units will be small, roughly 280 sqft, and there will be eight of them, four together side by side and then four on the back side by side. The required temperatures vary from -2 to 15 degrees C. for the various products. Different rooms will require a different temperature. The temperatures within these rooms will them be maintained without much variation.

My question is, would you recommend using a central system to feed these eight different rooms, or would you recommend using a individual compressor, condenser and evaporator system for each zone. If you would choose a central system could you explain it as I am not sure how a central system would operate. We also need to take contamination into decision making process.

Thanks

Richard

wambat
06-11-2008, 06:22 AM
Hi Friends,

I am in my last semester of a Mechanical Engineering degree and require a little help from you experts. In a major project my team and I need to design a cold storage warehouse, to store various fruits, meats, milk and eggs. The cooler units will be small, roughly 280 sqft, and there will be eight of them, four together side by side and then four on the back side by side. The required temperatures vary from -2 to 15 degrees C. for the various products. Different rooms will require a different temperature. The temperatures within these rooms will them be maintained without much variation.

My question is, would you recommend using a central system to feed these eight different rooms, or would you recommend using a individual compressor, condenser and evaporator system for each zone. If you would choose a central system could you explain it as I am not sure how a central system would operate. We also need to take contamination into decision making process.

Thanks

Richard

I would use an individual compressor, condenser and evaporator system for each zone,

wambat
06-11-2008, 06:24 AM
I would use an individual compressor, condenser and evaporator system for each zone.

vijay_study
06-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Hi,

Using individual compressor, condensor and evaporator will provide easy setting of varied temperatures required.

Also, in case one cold room needs to be shut off it is easier.

Thanks

Brian_UK
06-11-2008, 09:24 PM
A central plant may be advantageous but you need to be aware of the consequences should that plant fail.

Individual plant should, hopefully, not fail all at once.

rvitrih
08-11-2008, 01:48 AM
Hi,

I would just like to thank everyone for their quick reply's. I believe that we will be going with individual systems for each room since the cooling loads are fairly small. Therefore it will be easier to control the individual cells of the system.

Thanks

Richard

The MG Pony
08-11-2008, 08:12 PM
I would arrange them in banks so two central plants, one provides redundancy as in emergency product can be moved to secondary bank, this opens the door for ability of heat reclaim and such others improvements to efficiency.

Set up is more complicated as you'll need EPR valves and such.

Drew
10-11-2008, 07:21 AM
One system/ room.
Easy to work on and you dont need to study the site for years before you can understand what the designer was trying to do. Keep it simple. Running costs will be slighly up I think, but replacement parts will be cheaper.