PDA

View Full Version : A site thats changing to scrolls

WebRam
03-03-2004, 07:03 PM
here you go with some pictures.

This is the old Hussmann enviropaks hanging onto the end of the building and where they will remain :(

WebRam
03-03-2004, 07:04 PM
Here is the main roof showing some AHU's and Scroll packs

WebRam
03-03-2004, 07:05 PM
A inside picture of one of the scroll packs

WebRam
03-03-2004, 07:06 PM
another inside view of one of the new scroll packs

WebRam
03-03-2004, 07:07 PM
another view of the spine of the roof, showing AHU's and scroll packs

WebRam
03-03-2004, 07:09 PM
here is a picture looking through a scroll pack

WebRam
03-03-2004, 07:11 PM
here is a picture of one cold Scotsman reveling in his job commissioning on a exposed roof in Scotland in March :D

Keep up the good work Tony :p

WebRam
03-03-2004, 07:13 PM
here is a picture of whats getting replaced by the scroll packs.

This container plant is 16 year old.

WebRam
03-03-2004, 07:16 PM
this picture is from the other door into the container. As the picture was taken, only one compressor was running (HT) as the majority of the systems are now running from the 6 scroll packs

WebRam
03-03-2004, 07:17 PM
and the final picture is of a now dead container pack, soon to be removed from the roof.

Andy
03-03-2004, 08:04 PM
Hi Webram:)
brings back memorys. I commissioned 14 Procol and Enviropacks in the one year, must have been about 4-5 year ago. Nice clean tidy work.
Have they moved the plugs on the oil level switch, as I remember the AKC111 was having false alarms on some of the deep freeze packs due to water in the plugs. Also remember the first time I had an oil fault due to an optical oil sensor not on the level, that made me scratch the head a little:o :D
Regards. Andy:)

WebRam
03-03-2004, 08:20 PM
The oil fault on the optical sensor is a right pain in the arse. Even coming from the factory these buggers cause problems

chemi-cool
03-03-2004, 08:31 PM
hi webram,

if I may, I would like to make a comment,

in the picture of the scrollpack, I've noticed that the filter/dryer is mounted verticaly.

in this situation, when you change the cores, some particals will fall down into the liquid line and might block a TXV.

they shoud be mounted horizontaly, liquid from the reciver entering from the top.

sorry about that but it cought my eye straight away.

chemi :)

WebRam
03-03-2004, 08:49 PM
you are correct, thats the way they come from the factory in Glasgow. (Frostpacks)

Andy
03-03-2004, 10:10 PM
Hi Marc:)
aye but the scroll packs I commissioned were just in my sapre time, after hours when I had my Industrial (real job finished):D :D
Enjoyed it all the same.
Kind Regards. Andy:)

Mark
03-03-2004, 10:16 PM
Hi Dez:)

Great pictures believe me i am a fan of scroll packs,however i havent seen one installed around my neck of the woods in years certainly recips and screws seem to be favoured nowadays, maybe its a capacity issue :) and or £££££££££.

Regards Mark:)

tonydeith
03-03-2004, 11:00 PM
Hi mark

Scroll packs are used by retailers for a variety of reasons,Money being the main one.But if you loose a scroll compressor you dont need to start to empty cases.Only takes one engineer to fit one.

Most packs are sited above the cases so as to reduce the amount of refrigerant used and lost,and does not affect the rest of the store/loss of trade,which is their main priority.The fact that they are more maintenance friendly cutting maintenance costs for the retailer is a bonus for them.

Tony:)

Andy
04-03-2004, 07:51 PM
that industrial stuff can be a real bore most times.
We have had some interesting quotes recently, one last week for 1.5mW of glycol chilling at -5 deg c, this job would be recips on NH3 with inverter drives. The hydraulic system is one big 10" nb, with no buffer tank, hence the inverter drive.
We have also quoted a 850kW R744/R717 cascade blast freezer and cold store plant, this will all being well be commissioned this year.
Also had an inquiry from one of our customers for a 0.75mW absorbtion system.
So life is less than boring at the moment:D
How goes things with you, well I trust:)
Kind Regards. Andy

shogun7
05-03-2004, 01:51 AM
"I don't know anyone else like myself that can drift with ease from an industrial fridge site, to a large centrally air conditioned site to a supermarket and to anywhere else that I might care"
Brag,Brag Youv'e met your equal form the other side and oh if you need some consulting I'm willing to lend,lease a hand
Roger

Andy
05-03-2004, 10:02 AM
Andy, I thought my days doing commercial refrigeration, supermarkets and stuff, were a lot more interesting than my original industrial days.
Probably an electrical control thing. Most of the older refrigeration palnt I work on has basic (and I mean basic) control. What sets the supermaket installation apart from industrial plant is the level of control complexity. For the most part Industrial Refrigeration has caught-up.
My complaint now would be too much control:rolleyes: with less than efficient plant being selected and to counteract this over control being used.
Me I prefare Industrial plant to work with:) I like the idea of installing a plant that will last a good 20 years. Our society has went for the throw away thing:( with supermarkets being stripped out every 5 years, my plants are only comming up on their first overhaul at this.

it's sharing the facts with someone I have a bit of respect for, despite the fact he works for a company mostly occupied by oil filter changers
Marc you make me blush:o :o
As for the oil filter changers, it's difficult to get a decent oil filter changer nowadays:D
every new kid thinks the the wat to go is infrount of a computer, but I beg to differ, there will always be a demand for someone who can first fix a refrigeration plant, with his overalls on, that is a skill that is both learnt and a natural ability. There is some off the greatest design engineers about who can with a string of numbers explain anything, but ask them to fault find in the real world and the ability isn't there;)

as long as he stays with that funny Star company, I'm going to take a bit of piss
Star are a bit unusual in their thinking, but mostly it gets the job done and their setup encourages lateral thinking:)
now when are you going to join us:D just kidding.
Kind Regards. Andy

Peter_1
05-03-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Andy
As for the oil filter changers, it's difficult to get a decent oil filter changer nowadays:D

It's difficult to find someone for each technical job

every new kid thinks the the wat to go is infrount of a computer, but I beg to differ, there will always be a demand for someone who can first fix a refrigeration plant, with his overalls on, that is a skill that is both learnt and a natural ability.

And something we perhaps can learn or motivate our kids. I always encouraged (not pushed) my kids in a technical direction.
My oldest son is in his 1st year bachelor ICT: a mix of automation, PLC, hydraulics, programming (C, C++, Visual Basic, ASP, PHP, ) but the biggest part is analog and digital electronics and microprocessors.
At he age of 8, it was he who parked our vans inside the hangar.
At 9, he connected the gauges on a compressor and was then very proud if clients gave him a little amount for his work. Sometimes I asked the client to give a little amount which I deducted then from my invoice.

My daughter (18 almost) is in her last year technical sciences. She's the 1st girl since beginning of the school (+/- 1950) who has reached this level (girls are allowed only since 15 years in this school)
She's now one of the +/- 50 to 70 girls between +/- 2.000 (!) boys.
She will start next year for a Master in Mathematics. Hopes she will succeed.

The youngest (12) will start next year his two orientation years and will probably switch then to the graphical direction, also some sort of technical direction.

If they needed something, we never bought it right away. They had to earn it. It's to easy to give it simply in their hands. That's also a big fault nowadays:'They just simple had to open their mouth and they get what they asked' Wrong if you ask me.

There is some off the greatest design engineers about who can with a string of numbers explain anything, but ask them to fault find in the real world and the ability isn't there;)

Agree completely Andy. Some use great formulas, have huge theories but can't replace a drier or they even can't proper select a TEV.
But there has to be something of each, the thinkers and the do'ers. (How do you spell this? He who does something?)

Mark
05-03-2004, 11:08 PM
Our society has went for the throw away thing with supermarkets being stripped out every 5 years, my plants are only comming up on their first overhaul at this.

Hi Andy:)
I disagree:D one site i go to has an old o gorman pack retrofitted from R502 to R408 hot gas defrost around 30+years old a bit rough around the edges but still going :DLol.
Regards Mark:)