PDA

View Full Version : Fast Freeze Switch.. ?

mcdapp
01-11-2008, 05:24 PM
Hi I Have Been Doing Domestic Refrigeration For 20 Years Now..We Had a Rep From one of The Majors. Showing Us There New Range Of Fridges and Freezers. I always Ask What Is The Fast Freeze Switch used For.. What Is The Purpose Of It.. These People Have Been Trained On these Products.. I would Like To Ask All You Guys The Same Question.. Many of The Reps and Sales People Do Not Know.. Do You Know ?

nike123
01-11-2008, 05:57 PM
It is used for initial cooling of fresh (unfrozen) goods when placed in freezer to avoid cycling of compressor caused by thermostat action (air could be cooled much faster then core of product) and to achieve faster freezing by lowering evaporation temperature to lowest possible (limited by critical charge).

expat
01-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Hi Nike, I like the answer but I'm not quite with you on the "lowering the evaporation temperature".

I thought the button just forced the comp to work longer, and I add that it is your explanation that has made me understand why, ie...the air being cold but not the core temp of the product.

Thanks for that already.

chillin out
01-11-2008, 08:56 PM
The 'fast freeze' switch will only run the comp continuously which drops the temp of the freezer and freezes the core of the product quicker.

I have only ever seen one make of appliance which goes 1 better, when the 'fast freeze' button is pressed it sets the comp running for 12 hours and also speeds up the evap fan.

Chillin:):)

Magoo
03-11-2008, 11:34 PM
It is nothing short of a marketing CON, basically bypasses the thermostat.
The owner has this weird perception that the system goes into turbo mode, not. Just rings the hell out of the compressor.
magoo

R W ALLATT
30-01-2009, 09:34 PM
How many times have you been on a job and seen a chest freezer running on fast freeze. You tell the customer and they thought the orange light ment power on!!. fast freeze came into its own in the sixtys when people started growing vegetables and freezing them.

brian m w
03-02-2009, 07:19 PM
This depends on the machine, the purpous of a fast fresze on most machine is to turn it on before you go shopping and it should lower the tempreture enough so that it keeps a suficent tempreture when stocking it up. On some machines eg MFI apm6825 and Kyoto 60/40 it acts more as a low ambiant switch.

fridge doctor
14-02-2009, 11:52 PM
Magoo and RW ALLATT... correct. No magic to this, just a thermostat bypass. Most equipment has an optimum temperature capability, typically in the case of a freezer -20. Ask for anything much more than that and the compressor runtime vs temperature achieved is not viable.

If you use the switch before you shop, then all you do is reduce the core temp (slightly) of the produce already in the cabinet, it doesn't help the fresh stuff you bring back because as soon as you open the door, you lost it all.