PDA

View Full Version : Scroll packs-The good,the bad and the worst

tonydeith
02-03-2004, 08:11 PM
Hi all

Now that supermarkets are goining away from recips and the odd screw(well were all partial to one:D )and that scroll packs are the main stay of the retailer,i was wondering which were the best. On our sites we use the odd hussmann enviro, but the main packs that we use are FROSTPACK which is manufactured in Glasgow. Having worked on a variety of these packs over the years i would say that this pack has been the most reliable to date and gives little trouble and is very simple to set up and everything is pretty easy to get too.Except the oil feed line from the turbo shed to the oil distribution rack.you cannot get a standard service key into it ,you have to use a 1/4 drive exstension to reach the valve.

It would be intresting too see what were the common problems on other manufacturers packs both mechanical and electrical.

cheers tony
:) :confused:

FreezerGeezer
02-03-2004, 08:45 PM
I used to hate the position of the dual port PRV on Hussmann Enviropacks - there was no way you could get a pair of spanners on them! :mad:
NRS were my favourite for wet weather work, with the up-and-over door and 2 barn doors behind. As long as you stood well back when opening the up-and-over door so you didn't get wet! lol! :D
Another thing, although slightly off - topic...
I've never been able to understand why chiller manufacturers don't provide some sort of rain cover for the tech, especially since they are almost always outside! :rolleyes:

Mark
02-03-2004, 09:26 PM
NRS were my favourite for wet weather work, with the up-and-over door and 2 barn doors behind. As long as you stood well back when opening the up-and-over door so you didn't get wet! lol!

I havent worked on the NRS packs:confused:

however i have worked on NRC packs:D

Only joking:) Mark.

FreezerGeezer
03-03-2004, 08:04 AM
AAaaaawwwwwww BUM! I can't believe I did that! :D

Yes, of course I meant NRC packs. I must be getting senile. Or maybe Marc's recent posts have got my brain spinning! ;)

Anyway, the NRC ones are still my favourite design. Best rain protection and (usually) plenty of room inside to work. The Hussmann Enviropaks I worked on were prone to bursting the plastic capillaries. Have they solved that problem now?

Mark
03-03-2004, 08:48 AM
Hi:)

I have found a common problem with scroll packs is that they strangle discharge anacondas (vibration eliminators):eek:

Mark
03-03-2004, 10:49 AM
Hi tony:)

Im surprised to hear about scroll packs still being installed,certainly the Reciprocating Compressor Pack is the favoured installation practice now adays i guess it depends alot on field conditions as to what is installed;)

Regards Mark:)

WebRam
03-03-2004, 04:24 PM
Hey Mark,

Tony is correct, all the new and refit sites we are dealing with at going to Scroll Packs (I am posting some pics soon)

Andy
03-03-2004, 07:10 PM
Hi:)
it would appear that the old recip scroll debate is still alive.
The recips show better cop on paper, but I feel the scrolls provide nicer control, with up to 14 steps on the ones I worked on. So in actual fact the scroll will be easier on the energy and give more exact control and even better they come only in 10hp sizes that you can fit a little handle on and carry out of the plantroom. Recips, well you need the crane to move them:D
Regards. Andy.

tonydeith
03-03-2004, 07:48 PM
Hi mark

linde and nrc scroll pack vib elims used to have a bad habit of bursting as well as their liquid injection feed lines.Used to split the pipe work at the solenoid valve as the hose they used was very rigid,so when the screw that held the solenoid in place vibrated loose it forced the 1/4 pipe forwared thus kinking/spliting the pipe feeding liquid to the compressors.

bye the way, NRS do make packs usually for Iceland stores.

linde and nrc packs do have good cover in bad weather,Hussmann were the worst as the cover wouldfly away as soon as a wind appeared. Frostpacks cover is basically the same but hinged.

cheers tony:)

Mark
03-03-2004, 09:00 PM
Hi all:)

when freezergeezer said;

As long as you stood well back when opening the up-and-over door so you didn't get wet! lol!

Visions of NRC scroll packs came to mind:D

Regards Mark:)

WebRam
03-03-2004, 09:47 PM
http://www.frostpack.com/

the site is a bit crap but its worth a look

Mark
03-03-2004, 09:49 PM
ok thanks:)

biffdecki
04-03-2004, 01:26 PM
Most UK Hussmann packs were built by this team untill Hussmann moved manufacturing overseas and shut down Kinning park Glasgow due to labour costs, hence similarities to Enviropak etc.
Good bunch of guys with plenty of experience.