PDA

View Full Version : My fridge thinks its a freezer...help!!

Jane
31-10-2008, 11:58 AM
My fridge has suddenly frozen all the contents. The thermostat goes from 0 - 4. I have switched it off for a few moments and tried both high and low temperatures but it's still frozen. Because it is an integrated fridge I dont know what make it is and can't pull it out to look at the back of it either. When I had the kitchen fitted with the appliance about 5 years ago, I was given a booklet - it has no front cover just a picture of inside the fridge with UC 148 A/Z at top of page. I managed to pull off a grill at the foot of the fridge and swept out some dust but it didnt reveal a coil there so I guess its at the back. I just wish I could get to it though! (The plug to the fridge has been sited in the cupboard next to it).

paul_h
31-10-2008, 12:30 PM
If mechanical thermostat and cyclic defrost or it's fridge only, then you need a new thermostat.
If a frost free freezer/fridge combo, then the fridge thermostat damper is faulty or iced up open.
If electronic controlled fridge only, then maybe compressor relay has welded itself closed, or faulty thermistor.
Either you know what you have and can narrow it down, or you need a fridgey onsite to tell you what the problem is.

What you are tyring is good general practice, but in this case it's a control problem, not a maintenance problem. So getting underneath or behind to check or clean won't help, you need someone to diagnose the control system and replace the faulty part.

Jane
31-10-2008, 01:55 PM
Thanks. It's just a fridge not part of a fridge freezer. I'm having difficulty getting a repairman out and when I do find one, I dont want a dodgy repairman try to get me to spend money I havent got and felt a little bit of knowledge will prepare me for the diagnosis. Thanks again.

tonto33
31-10-2008, 06:17 PM
just need to replace stat we supply them for bout £17 email us at airkool@hotmail.co.uk if need one