PDA

View Full Version : Daikin disaster clean-up

Texaskelly
28-10-2008, 08:12 PM
Hi all, I am a Mitsi city-multi dealer. I recently was hired to straiten out a large disaster of a Daikin VRV heat recovery Install (by others). 64 REYQ and 300 varying indoor, mostly FXSQ.

I have one system with 10 BS and 11 FXSQ's and runs fine, it is supposed to have two more BS and two more FSXQ's, that were disconnected. I traced out the transmission wiring and hooked them up, every time I try to reset system it will not communicate with these two, U4, eventually after re-setting, all controllers on the sytem display U4, however as stated, if I remove these units and re-set it works fine, so its not the outdoor unit. I have proper voltage on my trans wire, I am thinking either some wiring (star) somewher hidden (seven floors of concealed chases). Any thoughts?
Sometimes I get caught up concentrating on the wrong thing, Im hoping this is the case.........Im only getting started on this pile of junk.......wish they had called me two years ago, oh well $$$$$$$$$$$$$.:cool:

frank
28-10-2008, 09:51 PM
After commissioning, if you alter the wiring for any reason, you must do a virgin restart.

U4 refers to a communication problem.

have you done a system reset?

I would start by tracing the 2 core comms wiring from the outdoor to each indoor , 1 x 1 until the mis-wiring fault shows up.

If its buried in walls etc, I usually by pass this with a temporary wire connection to eliminate that part of the loop.

Texaskelly
28-10-2008, 11:30 PM
After commissioning, if you alter the wiring for any reason, you must do a virgin restart.

U4 refers to a communication problem.

have you done a system reset?

I would start by tracing the 2 core comms wiring from the outdoor to each indoor , 1 x 1 until the mis-wiring fault shows up.

If its buried in walls etc, I usually by pass this with a temporary wire connection to eliminate that part of the loop.

Thanks Frank, yes I have started over from scratch for a coplete re-commission......new wire is my next step, not going to be easy, I guess their maitenance man will be installing numerous access panels when I am done.....we need them anyway, there are alot of non-insulated sections of piping on this job.
I was going to temporarily run new wire from the nearest working condo on this system down the hall later this week, I should have my service checker by then......lots of other problems.....if I get this whole building fixed Ill be a hero. This building is in the new Daikin schools installation training video as examples of what not to do, LITERALLY!! Im told by my Diakin reps it is/was at the time the largest Diakin install in the us.....imagine their their disappointment when thay all flew in ready to take pictures for the boss!! Goodbye warranty :eek:

Lowest bidder indeed :D

By the way, its 6:30 pm in Texas.

seanps1976
04-11-2008, 10:13 PM
dont know if your still having problems with this one mate but was wondering if the units you are adding have been addressed properly? might be worth checking that they are not conflicting with with other units with the same address also.

this might seem a little silly but if you lose power to those units you will get a u4 fault code also.

hope it helps mate and good look with becoming the hero lol

Texaskelly
07-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Found much sub-branching in transmission wiring. I tracked down the last unit on the system and ran new wire from there......U4.....reset, U4, re-start, U4!
I can hook my service checker up at the BS and see the whole sytem, up to the this point, neither BS and neither indoor unit beyond. Frustrating.
Many new and exiting install problems found everytime I venture into that building! Many 410 leaks improper piping.....units not hooked up
Lost my first inverter on New Years eave :(

Starting to wish I had never seen the place!
Dakin very little help at all, and the manuals really suck, bad.

Oh well......job security ;)

raylandm
07-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Hi, go to outdoor unit and check voltage of out going control cable, could be P1 or F1. Find which is the first indoor unit fed by this cable. Check voltage, [between 11 &26 volts?] each indoor unit you go to down the line from this starting point you should loose about 1 volt each time. If you get to a point where you loose the voltage to a certain indoor unit the previous indoor unit has problems with PCB board. Change it.;)

Texaskelly
07-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Yes, I have proper voltage all the way to the units. The com wiring is intact, thats why I can see the system with my checker, except these two units.....the problem that puzzles me is if it were the indoor unit boards the outdoor unit should still see the BS, and it sees neither the BS's, or the units.
The other puzzler is that both units/BS's have the same problem........bad BS boards? Would my out door not still see the indoor units if this were the case, as well as my checker? I should add that it was clear I was not the first to try and solve this issue, so there is no way of knowing what the last guy zapped.
:rolleyes:

brunstar
07-01-2009, 11:25 PM
hey there,
in relation to this job, i would power everything down for a minute and then power your indoors up, then your outdoor then push and hold the reset button for 5 to 8 seconds and the system will initialise for 10 minutes, when h2p stops flashing and goes out you should be able to run the system, i think it is because the outdoor unit can still see the previous amount of fan coils that were orogionally installed and not picking up the new ones as you have not reset the outdoor pcb by pushing and holding the reset button. then it should work for you.
you can also do a bs box and indoor unit count from the outdoor unit to see how many indoors and bs units the outdoor unit is picking up.

Texaskelly
08-01-2009, 04:05 PM
Thanks. Ive done all of the above.
I also tried a reset not in the book, that a Daikin tech support guy told me about......hold the mode button as if entering mode 2, except when the leds change continue holding, after about ten more seconde or so it will change back to mode 1 normal operation.....supposedly this erases the info the outdoor unit has on the indoor units, at this point you should be able to press reset and bring your new info up, supposedly.....it did not work.
Im going back for another run at it today.
Luckily these two indoor units only serve the hall, so there is no real time issue.

brunstar
08-01-2009, 09:31 PM
try like in the previous post, turn the power off and then back on and hold the reset button for 10 seconds and then let it initialise for 10 min till H2P stops flashing and goes out.

Thermatech
08-01-2009, 10:22 PM
Why not try
all other indoor units & BS boxes power off or control wiring disconnected such that only the 2 problem units & boxes are connected to the outdoor unit.
Then
Do the reset procedure are before & see if the outdoor unit can communicate with just those 2 units.

If the outdoor unit still cannot communicate with those 2 indoor units then that would indicate some problem with them & not with the rest of the system or the outdoor unit.

Texaskelly
09-01-2009, 07:06 PM
Got a call from this building on another unit....found the same thing, unit disconnected/never addressed or recognized by the system. Same problem when I hooked it up, re-set is absolutely worthless, however I put it through TEST mode and it popped right up, normal operation.
Yesterday I had tried reset and cycle the power both to no avail.
This should NOT be the method for adding a unit according to both the manual, and tech support. Ant ideas?
I'm going to try it on my other two problem children on the fourth floor.

Billy Jack
12-01-2009, 02:50 PM
Have you tried to force the fans on? This would determine if the two units were connected to the system. I contacted tech support, Ihad a problem like this and tech support helped me. Ask for mike at daikin he was a tremendous help.:D

Texaskelly
06-02-2009, 01:03 AM
Sorry to have been away so long. That issue was resolved, I dont know how, but Both BS circut boards were bad. Replaced the first, and she popped up like magic, second same thing. Whats interesting is I did not even push reset...this was an operational system, I added two BS's and indoor units and they popped up and ran? Oh well, dont look a gift horse in the mouth.....got about two years worth of re-doin' to do.....largest Daikin VRV install in the US....what a mess.

icecube51
06-02-2009, 04:54 PM
if you change the pcb bord's the reset is automaticly done.if something dos not work properly i always work on elemination course.it mostly do the trick.

Ice