PDA

View Full Version : Looking for work in Melbourne

Midaho
28-10-2008, 07:48 AM
Hi

I have completed 6 months of a 15 month Certificate III Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Course in Melbourne. I feel ready to start gaining work experience and wondered if anybody had any recommendations for the best place to look or approach.

Midaho
08-11-2008, 01:32 AM
Does nobody have any advice?

Toosh
08-11-2008, 05:12 AM
Does nobody have any advice?

Yeah, I have use the yellow pages and phone up companies!. It aint gonna fall in your lap

Norm:mad:

Midaho
09-11-2008, 12:26 AM
Oh, I am more than aware that it isn`t going to fall in my lap. I have been canvassing companies across Melbourne via email. I have sent out over 100 resume's, most of which receive no reply at all. I have now started ringing companies, but as I expected, two days a week to work is somewhat of a turn off for employers. The course is 3 days a week.

I have also received some resistance from managers who resent the fast track 15 month qualification. Australia does have a shortage of refrigeration engineers, and I am amazed at the off handedness of some employers. How is Australia to address the shortage?

Toosh
09-11-2008, 02:50 AM
Oh, I am more than aware that it isn`t going to fall in my lap. I have been canvassing companies across Melbourne via email. I have sent out over 100 resume's, most of which receive no reply at all. I have now started ringing companies, but as I expected, two days a week to work is somewhat of a turn off for employers. The course is 3 days a week.

I have also received some resistance from managers who resent the fast track 15 month qualification. Australia does have a shortage of refrigeration engineers, and I am amazed at the off handedness of some employers. How is Australia to address the shortage?

Hi Midaho, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning is a complex trade you learn everyday, I understand what your saying but it takes a lot more than 15 months to get the experience you need to get along in this trade. I don`t know the law is oz but have you thought on offering your self for free to get some experience. You also need and electrical ticket to work the industry. Can you outline what areas are covered in the course because you will need to do an apprenticeship to get your license to work.

Norm :D

topgunn
09-11-2008, 11:37 AM
you need to move to sunshine coast cant get enough help cheers

paul_h
09-11-2008, 03:24 PM

Not all employers are the same. The last place I worked at hired a new apprentice every year, and each year had work experience kids in for two weeks X 3 ,(hiring the best as the apprentice in the next year).
Not being in melbourne, the only advice I can give is keep trying. I went through something similar as I did a pre-apprenticeship at TAFE, meaning it was just as hard for me and my class to convince a company to hire any of us as a higher paid 2nd year apprentice straight off the bat.
The truth is you need to find a company more interested in training/improving the industry, than the majority of them which only cares to make heaps of dollars and poach employees from other companies or hire electricians in the role instead.
The problem is right now that many companies are very big (and not interested in training anyone, they can buy experienced persons), or very small (can't afford anyone). You need to find companies with 5 or so tradesmen since the government run departments shut down so that's off the list.

Midaho
10-11-2008, 07:35 AM
Hi Midaho, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning is a complex trade you learn everyday, I understand what your saying but it takes a lot more than 15 months to get the experience you need to get along in this trade. I don`t know the law is oz but have you thought on offering your self for free to get some experience. You also need and electrical ticket to work the industry. Can you outline what areas are covered in the course because you will need to do an apprenticeship to get your license to work.

Norm :D

Again, I am aware that 15 months won't make me an expert. I have the absolute respect for anybody in any profession that has done the time. I have done my own time in the UK installing security systems for 20 years. It takes a very long time to be good. My choice has been to migrate, and that means retraining in another discipline. What my previous trade has taught me is that every job needs to be approached with the right attitude, there must be a solution to every problem, and the job has to be done right. Electrically, I am very confident. Contactors, motors, relays and timers were my learing ground.

The course is the standard 4 year part time TAFE orientated one, however, we attend 3 days a week, rather than 1 week in 4. As I am lead to believe all the modules are the same. The pass mark for each module is 75%. I am doing well at the moment with each fortnights exam over 90%.

I do have to state that this does not replace an apprentiship. I am fully aware of that. It is a qualification. Certificate 3 on the AFQ scale. Additionally within the 15 months there is a portion for the Australian D Licence which will allow me to disconnect and reconnect mains. I have a trainee ARC licence now and will be able to apply for a full licence next september, all going well.

At the end of the course, Tafe come in for Capstone, to sign off any student. There is then a 2 hour oral exam with the college head.

Toosh
10-11-2008, 08:30 PM
Again, I am aware that 15 months won't make me an expert. I have the absolute respect for anybody in any profession that has done the time. I have done my own time in the UK installing security systems for 20 years. It takes a very long time to be good. My choice has been to migrate, and that means retraining in another discipline. What my previous trade has taught me is that every job needs to be approached with the right attitude, there must be a solution to every problem, and the job has to be done right. Electrically, I am very confident. Contactors, motors, relays and timers were my learing ground.

The course is the standard 4 year part time TAFE orientated one, however, we attend 3 days a week, rather than 1 week in 4. As I am lead to believe all the modules are the same. The pass mark for each module is 75%. I am doing well at the moment with each fortnights exam over 90%.

I do have to state that this does not replace an apprentiship. I am fully aware of that. It is a qualification. Certificate 3 on the AFQ scale. Additionally within the 15 months there is a portion for the Australian D Licence which will allow me to disconnect and reconnect mains. I have a trainee ARC licence now and will be able to apply for a full licence next september, all going well.

At the end of the course, Tafe come in for Capstone, to sign off any student. There is then a 2 hour oral exam with the college head.

Hi midaho good luck with your course you seem to be managing quite well, I also hope you meet goals

Norm