PDA

View Full Version : Refrigerant flow rates/gas laws

budro
23-10-2008, 02:34 PM
Hello all,
I stumbled upon this forum looking for some info on refrigerant flow rates and it seems there are some on here with a good knowledge of real world theory application. If you have the time it would be much appreciated.

I have a rather odd question but none the less here it is. I have a follow up question as well.

How do you determine the flow of refrigerant through tubing using the following variables?

A cap tube size .026” has been blocked off at one end and at the same end has one hole sized .011” drilled in the side for feeding refrigerant.

A cap tube size .026 has been blocked off at one end and at the same end has two holes size .011” drilled in the sides for feeding refrigerant. The holes are opposing each other, not in series.

The follow up: Using the same size tube and holes
Would 1 tube with 2 holes feed the same as 2 tubes with one hole each?

Lets say for calculating purposes that the liquid line feeding the tubing is 205 PSIG/15 degrees SC and 72 suction/ 19 degrees SH.

I think that the flow would be the same, my partner is not convinced. He feels it is possible that as a result of the volume leaving hole 1 and the subsequent pressure drop that the flow would not be the same.

Brian_UK
23-10-2008, 11:42 PM
Welcome Budro, hope you enjoy the forum.

Someone will ask you, soon no doubt, "what is the length of the capillary?"

I assume that by 'feeding' the refrigerant you mean that is exiting the capillary at that point into a larger tube or chamber which is at 72#

budro
24-10-2008, 02:58 AM
The cap tube is 2.75" long. I know it's not the typcal application but size restrictions required we try something unorthodox. The cap tube is being used to carry the refrgerant and the orifice is the .011" hole.

budro
24-10-2008, 03:12 AM
Sorry,
Yes you are correct about "feeding" into a chamber at 72#.

Thanks