PDA

View Full Version : Work time directive

tonydeith
27-02-2004, 10:34 PM
Hi all

Iwas just wondering what everybodys thoughts were on the proposed 45 hour working week. Considering that the supermarket industry would not cope if we all stopped putting the hours in,iwas pondering this over my fith double expresso [ADDICTED NOW!!,cheers dez}of the day/night/day. At present you can sign a waiver form,but the powers that be in brussels want to change this ruling.They will fine the goverment ,which will go down the line to us if we do not adhere to the directive. Good or bad?:confused:

WebRam
27-02-2004, 10:41 PM
For those wanting to contribute to this thread, here is a good link to get you up to speed on the subject.

http://www.dti.gov.uk/er/work_time_regs/

The basic rights and protections that the Regulations provide are:

a limit of an average of 48 hours a week which a worker can be required to work (though workers can choose to work more if they want to).

a limit of an average of 8 hours work in 24 which nightworkers can be required to work.

a right for night workers to receive free health assessments.

a right to 11 hours rest a day.

a right to a day off each week.

a right to an in-work rest break if the working day is longer than six hours.

a right to four weeks paid leave per year.

-----------------------------------------------------------
pass me another double espresso Tony ;)

chemi-cool
27-02-2004, 11:05 PM
working week here is 48 hours.

it is normal for poeple to work over time if they get paid for it.

my working week is about 65 hours but not a second for free.

I guess its different if you work for a company or self employed.

some companies dont let you work extra cos it cost them more.

in the service game its a different story. here they WANT you to do the work cos they make more money. what they do is manipulate with thetechs so no one is doing too much over time.

chemi

Brian_UK
27-02-2004, 11:28 PM
Whilst I would never wish any employee to be overworked by their employer I fear that the EU nanny state is too intrusive.

The demand seems to be to reduce things to the lowest level that the weakest economy is working at. By that I mean that if a particular economy is run badly and is unable to compete with the world market place then it wants the rest of the market bought down to its level.

My politics is not too strong so forgive any generalisations... but I get the impression that 'they' want a capitalist profit but a communist work ethic.

A point I didn't realise until last year relating to working hours is that of goods vehicle/bus drivers working hours. I thought the limits applied to drivers was for safety reasons; oh no! it is to ensure a level playing field and make for fair competition.

Mark
28-02-2004, 06:18 PM
work time directive.Im sure rdocwra has something to say on this subject:D :D

Brian_UK
28-02-2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by MarkFiddy
work time directive.Im sure rdocwra has something to say on this subject:D :D

Oh yes, we're just peeling him off the ceiling right now;)

Latte
29-02-2004, 01:18 AM
OH F****** REALLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't even get me started on politics, the WWW does not have enough space on it for me to get started.
The WTD is a good thing if you can earn £40k doing basic hours.
Unfortunatly unless you are a regional supervisor :D this is not possible therefore for 99.9% of the workforce will use the opt out clause & still do the vast amount of overtime as per usual.

This is just another example of idiots in Brussels who have not nothing better to than than think up stupid laws that won't make jack s*** difference.

(Is this what you meant be me making a comment Mark)

Regards

Raymond

grabber01
29-02-2004, 10:49 AM
Thats it fatboy, dont hold back say what you think.

Latte
01-03-2004, 02:01 AM
Successive governements both UK & EEC have looked upon the WTD as a way to open up compertition & also to look after employee's.
Yes, it is good that you cannot be forced to work over a certain amount of hours or do too many days on the run however in the real world (the one Mr Blair doesn't live in) it doesn't work.
For more unscrupulous employers all you have to do is show a day off on the timesheets & pay it as a bonus instead and lets face it these employers will find a way to get rid of an employee if they start causing grief by sticking to the rules.

Brian can back me up on my next point. When the maximum working hours was brought into the HGV/PSV industry everybody looked with rose tinted spec's thinking wages would go up to take into account the loss of overtime. DID IT BOLL***'s and therefore hundreds if not thousands of drivers left the industry.
That is why anyone with a HGV/PSV can walk into any depot and get a job with a £500 signing on bonus anywhere.

The same thing will happen in this industry if the opt out clause is not included in the legislation. Look around the towns where you live, busses are now being driven by spotty 21 year olds who dont know any better because this is all they can get on the wages they pay.

Refrigeration engineers will leave the industry is there is no overtime because i believe pay rates will not rise to compensate.
This is not just an opinion, just look at every other regulated industry.

Once the final draft of the legislation is drawn up it will be interesting to see who will not be included. I assume Government workers will not be included (Police/Prison Service/Health workers)
These are the people who really need legislation to help them. My message would be, if you are going to set a WTD, set it sensilably 60Hours ? but also make the minimum wage sensible, the current level is a joke so much for the labour party as a party for the workers.

Just one last thought imagine this Scenario.

You are at a Large Supermarket. Major Gas leak on Pack.
You have just reached your'e Max Hours on The WTD
WHAT DO YOU DO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1) Continue until you find the leak in violation of the WTD
2) Go home, knowing you are leaving a gas leak in violation on the Montreal protocol.

Sorry for the essay, It's late and i am in one of them moods as i have to be up at 04:30 to go & do a maintainence.

Regards

Raymond

Latte
03-03-2004, 10:51 PM
Two days later and i have finally come down off the ceiling

Cheers Brian/Tony

Regards

Raymond

grabber01
12-03-2004, 08:45 PM
Anyone near Newmarket, Stand Back i am lighting the blue touch paper.

Just been in to HRP today & picked up the spring edition of Service engineer. By the time i got to the front of the queue i had read it all but there is one section on the WTD. The governments opt out clause looks like is out of here and therefore we will soon all be doing a 45 hour week. What does everyone think of it

Latte
12-03-2004, 08:48 PM
Dont know what you mean !!!!!!!!

Mark
12-03-2004, 08:55 PM
we will soon all be doing a 45 hour week.

I think alot of supermarket/refrigeration engineers will change vocation:D

Latte
16-03-2004, 01:29 AM
Don't know about those double expresso's but the Coffee Nation LARGE Latte's at Stansted Airport Services are definatly addictive !!!! (Not that i would ever stop there on the way to/from a job)

Regards

Raymond

grabber01
22-03-2004, 06:04 PM
Fatboy, just seen the news, have you been re-wiring compressors in Thetford !!! :D

Latte
22-03-2004, 06:06 PM
NOT GUILTY, Try Norwich Dept.
Anyway mime don't catch fire they just blow trips and don't work.
Looks like kids again setting fire to the shop (Nothing better to do)

Regards

Raymond

Mark
24-03-2004, 08:24 PM
Lol the fire was started by kids apparently they set light to refuse in the loading bay.Made quite a mess of the 30+ year o gorman packs, shop floor was a mess to say the least.RIP kwiksave :(

Latte
24-03-2004, 08:32 PM
In other words more overtime commissioning the new Somerfield Thetford then. :D

Regards

Raymond

Mark
24-03-2004, 08:40 PM
yep no problem ;)