PDA

View Full Version : High air volume out a little hole.

multisync
18-10-2008, 09:57 PM
We are fitting a 2kw condenser in a cellar but -and it is a big but- we only have 100 dia in and out drain pipes to the outside(both are only 500mm long) for ventilation.
Would it be possible to fit a big fan on each to give sufficient airflow -or can any one think of a way to get enough air in/out to keep the condenser satisfied? Bearing in mind it will be cycling anyway so the heat is not constant but the fans will be...

Multisync
London

The Viking
18-10-2008, 10:10 PM
Yes fitting fans designed for the right static pressure and volume required sounds like a good idea.

But why would the fans run permanently?

A thermostat and a relay would control them according to the requirements, surely?

multisync
19-10-2008, 11:38 AM
Yes fitting fans designed for the right static pressure and volume required sounds like a good idea.

But why would the fans run permanently?

A thermostat and a relay would control them according to the requirements, surely?

Ah yes, I suspect we will need a heat/cool stat for heatpumps..

Multisync
London

Brian_UK
19-10-2008, 12:46 PM
Just fit a relay to switch the fans in line with the compressor contactor.

multisync
19-10-2008, 04:17 PM
Just fit a relay to switch the fans in line with the compressor contactor.

With an inverter?
Time to put away old thinking..

Multisync
London

Brian_UK
19-10-2008, 11:44 PM
With an inverter?
Time to put away old thinking..

Multisync
London
and I was expected to know that how ???:p

A word of caution with heat pumps indoors.

I came across a site some time back that had fitted a HP inside complete with drain tray underneath to catch the defrost water which then drained into a tanked condensate pump (Little Giant).

When in heating mode the area got so cold that the drained water began freezing. The drain tray turned into a block of ice and the freeze up continued down to the pump unit.

Whenever the unit was turned off and the ice could melt a little they ended up with a flooded room.

edit: I knew I'd written about this before and with a photo...
http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4229&highlight=heat+pump

multisync
20-10-2008, 05:36 PM
and I was expected to know that how ???:p

Coz it's 2008 and not 1968!:D