PDA

View Full Version : Recession

philjd26
15-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Its hitting hard!!!

Any quick ways to burn compressors out!!!!:d

paul_h
15-10-2008, 05:13 PM
The last company I worked for got through the '90s recession by becoming warranty agents. The work sucked, but it paid the bills.
I'm following their principle for this recession, I just signed up with a manufacturer. Sure it doesn't pay as well as normal jobs, but people still want their 2 or 5 year warranty repairs carried out, recession or not, so it's regular work. :D
Domestic is crap though, but you get extra work like out of waranty jobs and cheap (read: huge markup) on parts and units for all the older gear in the jobs you do get outside of warranty.
edit:
Once it's clear sailing with the contract I've got now and my financials are good, I'll try to get more "approved service/warranty agent" contracts, because this reccession is going to be a long one. Only refrig systems and warranty work is going to be common. Gone are the times of putting in new splits every day.

rude
16-10-2008, 09:44 AM
The last company I worked for got through the '90s recession by becoming warranty agents. The work sucked, but it paid the bills.
I'm following their principle for this recession, I just signed up with a manufacturer. Sure it doesn't pay as well as normal jobs, but people still want their 2 or 5 year warranty repairs carried out, recession or not, so it's regular work. :D
Domestic is crap though, but you get extra work like out of waranty jobs and cheap (read: huge markup) on parts and units for all the older gear in the jobs you do get outside of warranty.
edit:
Once it's clear sailing with the contract I've got now and my financials are good, I'll try to get more "approved service/warranty agent" contracts, because this reccession is going to be a long one. Only refrig systems and warranty work is going to be common. Gone are the times of putting in new splits every day.
i disagree back in the 90's aircons were still relatively expensive. These days there so cheap and coming into summer ppl will care about comfort over price.

just my opinion.

paul_h
16-10-2008, 10:07 AM
You misunderstand, the recession means less new buildings, less new installs. It's got nothing to do with the price of an a/c, but to do with the $100s of thousands that needs to be borrowed for new home and office construction.

Most people who want a/cs already have them. So the main market will be repairing existing ones (or replacing them) so "gone are the times of putting in new splits everyday".

The best way to get repair work is to get listed on a manufacturers website as a repair agent, you get the regular warranty work and the out of warranty work that pays well.

rude
16-10-2008, 01:16 PM
You misunderstand, the recession means less new buildings, less new installs. It's got nothing to do with the price of an a/c, but to do with the $100s of thousands that needs to be borrowed for new home and office construction.

Most people who want a/cs already have them. So the main market will be repairing existing ones (or replacing them) so "gone are the times of putting in new splits everyday".

The best way to get repair work is to get listed on a manufacturers website as a repair agent, you get the regular warranty work and the out of warranty work that pays well.
ahh ok
lucky im in a company that has one then :)