PDA

View Full Version : Hotpoint FFP187B help

claire
15-10-2008, 10:42 AM
Hi,
I have only had this fridge freezer about 15 months and it's packed in. I have switched it off for 48 hours, turned it back on but made no difference. The fan works fine but compressor isn't kicking in. Does anyone know what the most likely cause is? We were thinking it's going to be something related to the control of the compressor rather than the compressor itself given the fact it's a relatively new appliance. Is PCB most likely culprit?? Any ideas how to figure out what's causing it. Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Claire

nike123
15-10-2008, 10:57 AM
If you are not familiar with electric measurements, then best thing to do is to call service technician.
It could be PCB, wiring, starting device of compressor or compressor itself.
If you have knowledge and measuring instruments, you should start measuring voltages from compressor back to PCB.

claire
15-10-2008, 12:14 PM
If you have knowledge and measuring instruments, you should start measuring voltages from compressor back to PCB.

Thanks for that. It's my housemate who's trying to fix it for me-he's good with that kind of thing but hasn't done much with fridges for a while. He wanted me to ask at what connections he should take the readings from? And if there is a relay in the black box that sits on the side of the compressor?
We have tried to find manuals on line but only managed to find the user manual that came with it. Not a technical manual.
Thanks for the help though.

paul_h
15-10-2008, 03:14 PM
Yes there's usually a relay and overload inside the compressor terminal box. You need to check the voltages there so see if you have the full mains voltage. If the mains voltage is there, you could have a faulty relay, compressor, overload or capacitor if fitted.
If full mains voltage is not there, then you'd be looking at PCBs and relays.

tonto33
15-10-2008, 03:37 PM
15 Months old then phone hotpoint or book online at hotpointservice.co.uk as they have 5 years part warranty

claire
15-10-2008, 06:40 PM
ok tested the voltage, but nothing after the mains input cable.. so you guys recon its the p.c.b or the relay on the board?

nike123
15-10-2008, 06:51 PM
ok tested the voltage, but nothing after the mains input cable.. so you guys recon its the p.c.b or the relay on the board?

It also could be temperature sensor, but I suppose that will be signaled if that is the case.

claire
15-10-2008, 07:37 PM
where is that located??

nike123
15-10-2008, 08:09 PM
where is that located??
Near or at the evaporator, but I don't know for your particular case!