PDA

View Full Version : No name chinese ice machine

paul_h
15-10-2008, 09:13 AM
I've just looked at a small ice machine that continually defrosts and harvests after only 20-30sec running.
it looks like this:
www.diytrade.com/china/4/products/4300616/Automatic_Ice-Making_Machine.html#normal_img

It doesn't seem to have anything to start a defrost, ie any evap sensor or pressure control. ANyone seen anything like this?
Has a small PCB with bin thermistor, water level switch, a motor to drop the tray for defrost, and a motor to run agitator paddles.
How the hell does it know when to defrost? I can't fix something I can't see.
Anyone worked on these machines?

tonto33
15-10-2008, 09:33 AM
i seen only two of them 1st one needed motor 2nd had same fault as yours after nearly throwing it out of window i replaced pcb and it worked, no idea anything else bout them seems cheap crap design but that the chinese for you. hope that helps

paul_h
15-10-2008, 09:45 AM
Yeah thanks for that. Only problem is someone has already had a go at this one and changed the PCB.
They gave up after that because it still doesn't work.
I'm not taking this job on yet, the guy phoned me because I've repaired some stuff for him before, and I haven't promised him anything.
But it would be good if I could work out how these machines work, because they've got a few that haven't broken yet.
I don't even know who imported them though or who sells parts for them here.

icecube51
15-10-2008, 06:44 PM
hey Paul h, i have an even smaller one,and when i opened the side panel there are some micro switches,one if the tray is fully forward and one ho is given contact when the tray is in place for making cubes. if the contact for being in place (tray) is not correct,its either not working or not correctly working. ma by its word checking.

Ice

Andy AC
15-10-2008, 09:58 PM
Hello Paul, it looks like what is badged as polar refrigeration over here in the uk. Does the paddle motor run? If not it probably needs to, the ones over here check for rotation of the motor shaft - if it doesn't turn fast enough (slowed or stopped because of ice) it starts defrost cycle. There should be a little sensor on the paddle motor shaft, if its not the motor it could be this.

Andy

paul_h
16-10-2008, 06:52 AM
Yeah the paddles turn fine. I played around with the magnetic sensor, but don't know how to test them.
The last repairer changed that as well. The guy still had all the old parts so I tried both the old and new ones.

So I guess this is how it triggers defrost, when the paddles stop, the ice is big enough?
The motor was turning fine, but a little noisy, and of course I don't know how fast it's supposed to turn.
So if everything else is fine, maybe change the motor, paddle shaft?
I still have to find out where to get parts for it here though, there's no model number, manufacturers name or anything on the unit.

Thanks for everyones help so far.

Here's a better photo of the culprit, has a illuminted rocker mains switch, and a small PCB with LEDs are the front for water level fault etc.

edit It appears to be an IM-50 made by Nantong Refriend Industry & Trade (Ice Systems) Co., Ltd.
Found someone on ebay selling them here, but no parts suppliers.

icecube51
16-10-2008, 09:24 PM
have you trayed www.alibaba.com yet??

Ice

icecube51
16-10-2008, 09:29 PM
better, try this one http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/ice_machines.html?relatedKey=ice%20machines&tracelog=spelling_check

Ice

paul_h
17-10-2008, 02:23 AM
Yeah thats where I got the picture of it and the manufcturer and model name.
I've sent emails for parts enquires, but haven't heard from the yet.

paul_h
21-10-2008, 02:10 PM
Still no replies from anyone who sells them on the internet :(

icecube51
21-10-2008, 08:21 PM
sorry Paul-h, but can you not find out who sold these machines to your client, and perhaps come to now where the salesmen got them from ,so you can contact his contact and come to now the name of the manufacturer,and if they have a home-office nearby ???

just thinking out load and trying to help from a looooong distance.

Ice

kiwireeferman
31-10-2008, 10:34 AM
Sounds like a copy of the Ice-Matic. To give clear ice the water needs to be agitated, thats what the paddles are for.
On the Ice-Matic the paddle motor was held in a bearing and allowed it to pivot, as the ice on the "fingers" started to foul the paddles the motor would start to "swing" on the shaft. eventually the motor would swing far enough to trip a microswitch and start the geared motor to lower the water tray and do a harvest.