PDA

View Full Version : westinghouse split problem

fridge doctor
14-10-2008, 07:59 AM
Hello,

I have an odd one here, just thought someone may have come across this. Customer has 3 White-Westinghouse 18,000 Btu Splits. They are about 5 years old. WSE18PD5MB on R22.
Right from when they were installed all three (indoor units) will only run at high fan speed. He got the installer back but they fobbed him off with a BS story.

I went there yesterday to investigate. Obviously all three controllers have been tried on different units etc. The receiver accepts the signal command to change speed by the usual 'bleep', but the fan speed remains on high. The units are not in manual mode, and all other functions are OK. On the PCB there is a 4 pin plug providing power to the motor, and a pair from the motor to the capacitor which is a free standing item off the PCB. Because of the nature of the 'fault' which he insists has always existed from day one, and on more than one unit, I have to rule out things like faulty capacitor or even faulty PCB or motor.

With the multipin plug disconnected I checked for voltage. There is a change around of voltage supplied to the pins, typically 240 volts at pin 2 moves to pin 3... but this has no effect on the motor speed. I can't think of anything which the factory might have failed to do which would affect this :confused:. Anyone got any ideas please.

Trevor

nike123
14-10-2008, 08:35 AM
Hello,

I have an odd one here, just thought someone may have come across this. Customer has 3 White-Westinghouse 18,000 Btu Splits. They are about 5 years old. WSE18PD5MB on R22.
Right from when they were installed all three (indoor units) will only run at high fan speed. He got the installer back but they fobbed him off with a BS story.

I went there yesterday to investigate. Obviously all three controllers have been tried on different units etc. The receiver accepts the signal command to change speed by the usual 'bleep', but the fan speed remains on high. The units are not in manual mode, and all other functions are OK. On the PCB there is a 4 pin plug providing power to the motor, and a pair from the motor to the capacitor which is a free standing item off the PCB. Because of the nature of the 'fault' which he insists has always existed from day one, and on more than one unit, I have to rule out things like faulty capacitor or even faulty PCB or motor.

With the multipin plug disconnected I checked for voltage. There is a change around of voltage supplied to the pins, typically 240 volts at pin 2 moves to pin 3... but this has no effect on the motor speed. I can't think of anything which the factory might have failed to do which would affect this :confused:. Anyone got any ideas please.

Trevor

Maybe, fan internally has got only one speed but externally wired as three speed. So, when voltage applied to any pin it always goes to same winding.
Check fan resistance. IF pins are wired like that, some of them will have 0 resistance in between.