PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone offer advice?

eggs
12-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Hello chaps,
I'm currently pricing a job for an existing client. I have done a heat calc and got to appx 100kw total cooling required. The area is one big open space. So far so good............I have calculated the VRF price and i have calculated the price for Splits, just as an excercise i want to offer a price for a chiller system as an alternative, what with all this F gas malarky.

Where do i start? I have installed many over the years, but i have never specified or designed one.

Cheers for any help or info

eggs

Andy
12-10-2008, 08:48 PM
Hello chaps,
I'm currently pricing a job for an existing client. I have done a heat calc and got to appx 100kw total cooling required. The area is one big open space. So far so good............I have calculated the VRF price and i have calculated the price for Splits, just as an excercise i want to offer a price for a chiller system as an alternative, what with all this F gas malarky.

Where do i start? I have installed many over the years, but i have never specified or designed one.

eggs

Hello Eggs,

I suppose the place to start is the room conditions required, temperature and humidity.

Also are you going to use fan coil units or an central AHU to distribute the air.

There is another couplke of alternatives to chilled water that will work more efficiently, condensing units and an AHU or a number of rooftop units (combined AHU and Condensing Unit).

Kind Regards Andy:)

eggs
12-10-2008, 08:58 PM
Hello Andy.

My chosen route, due to low(ish) ceiling heights and not much void, is cassettes.
The application is just general comfort cooling for a retail area, about 950m2.

Cheers

Eggs

Andy
12-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Hello Andy.

My chosen route, due to low(ish) ceiling heights and not much void, is cassettes.
The application is just general comfort cooling for a retail area, about 950m2.

Cheers

Eggs

Hello Eggs,

most chiller manufacturers make fan coil units, that are to all purposes 4 way cassettes, but fed with chilled or heated water.

They also make mini AHU's, vertical for mounting in the store room wall, returning air at low level and supplying it at high level.

some manufactures are

Rhoss
Clivet
Climveneta
Aermec

The chillers will have selection tables that relate to the chilled water onto and off the cassettes.

All these manufacturers will assist you with selecting their product (or point you to an agent).

Kind Regards Andy:)

The General
13-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Hi Eggs,

Can't really help you with the chillers, but you may want to consider another alternative, the Hitachi IVX system. Three outdoor units and nine indoor cassettes to give you 100kW will cost you around £16.5K. With only three refrigeration circuits to install it's got to be a good commercial option.

S_Line
13-10-2008, 11:25 AM
Not knowing hte full layout / Windows, and sun light.

The most cost effective way would be 4x Multis. at 25 K.W each.

You could zone the area into 4 zones if nessesary.

Carfull if the ceiling is low, as the Mitsi Heavy are a draft nightmare.

If the ceilings are low i would go for the Daikin roundflows every time, happy customers :)

2007eng
13-10-2008, 12:36 PM
Hello chaps,

eggs

Hi eggs,
I will give some questions may help you:
- What is the application of your space?(Resturant, meeing room, ......)
- What is your ventilation requirments?(fresh air quantity)
- What is your options for the external units location?(air cooled-outside- , water cooled-inside-)study your building to deside.
- What is your control needs? (High control-on/off...)
- Are you need heating beside cooling or just cooling?

These quistions may help you to select the suitable system.

eggs
13-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Thanks to all for the replies so far, but i do feel we are going a little off topic.
I am more than happy specifying VRV, VRF & Splits. I have done a full accurate heat calc including allowing for the ventilation rates that i have designed my ductwork system to do.

I am just interested in how to design and specify a chiller system (to broaden my knowledge more than anything else). 100kw chiller to 9 cassettes.

Ie:

Step 1, Buy Chiller
Step 2, Buy 9 Fan coils
Step 3, Oh $hi7 !, what's all this about pumps and flow rates. Ahhhh! metering devices, 4 port valves, auto bleeders, Pressurisation vessels.

Thankfully, i have a quiet day on wednesday so i'm going to ring a few of the companies Andy mentioned and try not to sound too amateurish :confused:

Cheers Chaps

Eggs

brunstar
23-11-2008, 09:30 PM
One big open space, i would use 4 x RZQ250C and this will give you 100kw

brunstar
23-11-2008, 09:30 PM
or the new Daikin cmsq.

eggs
24-11-2008, 12:05 AM
As it happens, the job got put on the backburner.
Quote "until all this credit thingies over with", thanks Mr Client.
That is 3 jobs now been put on hold in the last 2 weeks, £120k gone as if it never existed.

Eggs