PDA

View Full Version : Running pipes in concrete

Jadeair
11-10-2008, 11:02 AM
What's the best wat to run pipes in concrete?

We're starting to do alot of restaurant and supermarket fit outs which require running pipes through concrete before it is poured.

We normaly run them in PVC pipe, but what happens if the copper pipe comes in contact with the wet concrete, and would insulation alone be OK?

taz24
11-10-2008, 11:52 AM

We're starting to do alot of restaurant and supermarket fit outs which require running pipes through concrete before it is poured.

We normaly run them in PVC pipe, but what happens if the copper pipe comes in contact with the wet concrete, and would insulation alone be OK?

On all the jobs we have done where pipes run under concrete, they have always run in tunnells or voids under the floor.
They have never been alowed to come into contact with the concrete itself.

Cheers taz.

Grizzly
11-10-2008, 12:05 PM

Jadeair
Simply put, how you access the pipes in future is a dilemma.
But basically put if copper is in direct contact with Concrete. It will rot!
The lime in the Concrete attacks the Copper.
I would assume that the insulation would be sufficient but very susceptible to liquid concrete seeping past it.
Surely what Tazz has suggested and you refer to,would be the most sensible solution.
IE, run it through a plastic pipe. which would enable future access as well as protect the pipe.
Grizzly

750 Valve
14-10-2008, 12:02 PM
We use the following method to run pipes underground and thru concrete slabs http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t311/750valve/Misc/underground.jpg

Grizzly
14-10-2008, 05:08 PM
We use the following method to run pipes underground and thru concrete slabs http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t311/750valve/Misc/underground.jpg
Very impressive 750 valve.
I assume the extra insulation from the foam would cancel out the high thermal storage properties of the concrete/
Grizzly

Guy Hodgins
21-10-2008, 01:01 PM
This used to be the norm in the UK and the consequence is often lots of leaks which are not accessible. Very few new installations now put the pipes in the floor. Try and persuade your client as to the benefits of running overhead. services

750 Valve
22-10-2008, 06:55 AM
This used to be the norm in the UK and the consequence is often lots of leaks which are not accessible. Very few new installations now put the pipes in the floor. Try and persuade your client as to the benefits of running overhead. services

True, overheads are heaps better but unfortunately droppers entering island cases look like poo so if you are going to run undergrounds just pressure test them first before foam and concrete

Jadeair
23-10-2008, 11:51 AM
Thanks guys,

Sometimes there's no other way of getting pipes there when under constuction.

Most of the cabinets are small in capacity and can be run in soft drawn through pvc pipes without joins.

Wonder how long that lime would take to eat through the pipes if let unprotected?

round_the_rack
09-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Why foam the entire run? Wouldn't it be better to just foam the openings? I'm thinking of the hassle involved if you needed to replace or upsize the lines.

750 Valve
10-11-2008, 09:24 AM
I guess it harks back to some older practices when the pipes were laid in the ducts without insulation and the run was foamed, but all the major companies here run undergrounds in this manner still so I guess its just an industry standard.

When upgrading stores we NEVER saw cut near an existing trench, its easier to run a new one with a different route and a new pipe. Most of our stuff is overheads to mutidecks anyway so its just the service deli and low height cases such as islands that see undergrounds.