PDA

View Full Version : Sporlan subcooling valve

BESC5240
09-10-2008, 03:46 PM
Hi ,

does anyone have something on this valve. It seems to be used in milk cool tanks (Mueller?) and some AC/HP application.
I have googled but was not able to find anything. (only Sporlan types BS and CS ?). The sporlan/parker website did not help eather.
A data sheet or even a few words on it's working principle are very welcome.
thanks.
B.

Brian_UK
09-10-2008, 08:13 PM
Do you have any form of identification on the valve ?

I can only find BS an CS as well....

BESC5240
10-10-2008, 09:20 AM
Do you have any form of identification on the valve ?

I can only find BS an CS as well....

I do not have such a valve. I just got a customer requesting such a valve. He claim:
- it is used on the condensor outlet of a (Mueller) milk cool tank cooling unit,
- it should save about 8 % energy (?????)

I don't know what the valve looks like, neither how it works, neither how it helps to save 8 % energy ...

Prof Sporlan briefly mmentions this valve in this post:
http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=968&page=2
:)

chemi-cool
10-10-2008, 03:09 PM
Found this pdf, is that what you are looking for?

Check the ORAR valve.

US Iceman
10-10-2008, 03:15 PM
The info Chemi provided is the only thing I can think of. It is essentially a three way valve that controls head pressure by flooding the condenser with liquid refrigerant. That would provide subcooling, but it also limits the ability of the discharge pressure to be reduced.

I believe these valves are non-adjustable and must be selected for the refrigerant.

chemi-cool
10-10-2008, 10:32 PM
Just got by email all the info from Mueller.
Interesting little valve, works lite TEV, fully adjustable, senses the temperature on the liquid line between the condenser and the receiver.

I will try to "cut" the relevant part from that pdf and post it here.

chemi-cool
11-10-2008, 09:48 AM
The subcooling valve physically resembles a thermostatic expansion valve, but its operation is radically
different.
Liquid refrigerant is metered and reduced to evaporative pressure as it passes through the subcooling
valve. The subcooling valve is internally equalized to sense condenser pressure on the underside of
the diaphragm and sensing-bulb pressure on the top side.
At a given condensing pressure, should the sensing-bulb temperature rise, the subcooling valve
throttles towards a closed position causing more liquid refrigerant to accumulate in the bottom of the
condenser to satisfy the subcooling requirement.
If the liquid refrigerant leaving the condenser is subcooled more than 14°F (7.8°C), the cooler
temperature sensed by the bulb will cause a reduced pressure on the top of the diaphragm.
The condensing pressure on the bottom of the diaphragm, aided by the valve spring, forces the
subcooling valve towards the open position. This reduces the amount of liquid subcooling in the
bottom of the condenser.
The subcooling valve opens as the sensing bulb becomes cooler and closes as the sensing bulb
becomes warmer. This operation is opposite from a conventional system’s thermostatic expansion
valve.
The sensing bulb of the subcooling valve is clamped to the liquid line leaving the condenser and
should be mounted vertically with the capillary tube entering the bottom of the sensing bulb.
Figure 3 - Sensing Bulb
The subcooling valve has an internal bypass bleed port which allows a small amount of liquid
refrigerant to bypass the valve seat. This bleed port permits the valve’s sensing bulb to sense any
increase in subcooling even while the valve seat is closed. Such an increase causes the valve to open
and maintain the 14°F (7.8°C) subcooling setting.
The subcooling valve is in the closed position at start-up. Without the bleed port, the valve would
remain in the closed position because it would never see a change in temperature at the sensing bulb
due to a lack of refrigerant flow.

BESC5240
13-10-2008, 08:42 AM
Thank you very much Chemi.
This is exactly what I was looking for.
(Never heard of this kind of valve before but now I can get deeper in this).
B.

chemi-cool
13-10-2008, 03:23 PM
I hope to get soon the model and manufacture name and post all the info here.

I think Sporlan is behind it.