PDA

View Full Version : Help me on brazing

Mark Cerella
08-10-2008, 03:13 PM
this will be somekind of stupid question

but how will i braze a unseen and unmovable spot?

example on installation purposes...

some just hold the after brazed area to ensure that the brazed spot is fully brazed?:rolleyes:

Gary
08-10-2008, 04:13 PM
If possible, use a mirror to see the area.

Always keep in mind that the torch heats the metal and the metal melts the filler material. If the metal is not hot enough to melt the filler material, then the material will not stick.

nike123
08-10-2008, 05:04 PM

some just hold the after brazed area to ensure that the brazed spot is fully brazed?:rolleyes:

By carefully planing brazing so that brazing spot is always available for inspection and brazing from acceptable angles.
For example, you first plan and braze on working table hard to reach sections, and after that connect sections where are easy to braze.

taz24
09-10-2008, 08:31 AM

Use the correct size nozzel. Do not be affraid to use large nozzels for smaller jobs.

The brazing rod will flow towards the heat, if you put the heat on the pipe from below and towards the botom of the swaged pipe (or conection) the heat will draw the rod in. Heat rises so a good flame under the joint will heat up the bottom half of the pipe on pipes smaller than 1 1/8".
On pipes 1 1/8" and above you will need to get the flame to the back bottom quarter and heat from there, then do the front bottom quarter. Put bends in your rod so you can get the tip of the rod on the joint. Don't force the rod, let the heat draw it in.

You should be able to feel if the joint is good and a mirror will show you if it looks good.
When brazing with a mirror remember you are in reverse and don't put the flame on the mirror because it will break.

If you know you will have an awakward braze, then braze it out of posistion and the put the whole piece in place and braze the easy joints last.

taz.

sinewave
10-10-2008, 04:38 PM
If you know you will have an awakward braze, then braze it out of posistion and the put the whole piece in place and braze the easy joints last.

taz.

Good advice that Taz! :)