PDA

View Full Version : extra expansion valve and dryer port

CoolWell
06-10-2008, 04:31 AM
Hi. This is just a quick post re third txv and dryer port.

This is the first time that I have received a refrigerated van with the expansion valve and dryer having an extra port. The closest that I have seen is the "oil return" system in bus airconditioners where oil gets sucked back to the compressor before it gets pushed to the condenser.

Have browsed our forum, and the closest topic that I found is the accumulator thread.

A picture of the parts that I need to replace can be found here - zaccs.motive-ad.com/refoct08.jpg

Have two questions.

1. What is this port for?

2. I found it very hard to look for a similar dryer, and am contemplating on buying a regular Sporlan dryer and regular dual capillary expansion valve. Will there be an effect in cooling performance?

Thank you for reading the post. I would appreciate any inputs from our experts here.

Have a great week ahead.

:)

Grizzly
06-10-2008, 06:42 AM
Yep
It's like nothing else I have seen before.
1) I assume it is some form of external equalisation/ balance line?
2) have not got a clue!
good luck
Grizzly
I thought it might be a little easier for everyone if the photo was posted.
Grizzly

CoolWell
06-10-2008, 07:39 AM
Yep
2) have not got a clue!
good luck
Grizzly

Sir Grizzly, thank you for the very fast reply. Am so sorry for the misleading post. I misinterpreted what my technician-partner told me. Was so baffled at what i saw the first time :confused:

The third port of the txv goes to the evaporator. Am wondering if we can use a cheaper, easy-to-find dual capillary txv. Will performance suffer?

The third port on the dryer connects to the low pressure pipe, as in the picture at

zaccs.motive-ad.com/ref6oct08b.jpg

Its the small one in the middle. Above that is the pressure switch. This is the confusing part.

Thanks again sir.

Best regards.

:)

CoolWell
06-10-2008, 07:41 AM
Yep
2) have not got a clue!
good luck
Grizzly
I thought it might be a little easier for everyone if the photo was posted.
Grizzly
Thank you for posting the image Sir Grizzly. Am actually not allowed to add URLs (and links to images) yet.

Have a great week ahead sir.

Grizzly
06-10-2008, 08:05 AM
Coolwell
Your politeness is refreshing, although it's not necessary to call me Sir!
Yes after posting the penny dropped.
What you have there is an externally equalised expansion valve with the balance line fitted to a Suction Line filter.
I do not recognise the name on the filter.
Maybe you could let us know?
Sporlan do a complete range of these.
Grizzly

Brian_UK
06-10-2008, 08:09 PM
Well spotted Grizzly, I was beginning to think that you were having a brew at the same time ;)

clivemtk
06-10-2008, 08:42 PM
hi grizzly the photo you have blown up is of a sporlan oil seperator has used on most thermoking small trucks

Grizzly
06-10-2008, 09:05 PM
hi grizzly the photo you have blown up is of a sporlan oil separator has used on most thermoking small trucks
Yep! clivemtk
Hence my reference to sporlan. Although I was not brave enough to say it was a oil filter that "The expansion valve balance line " was connected to!
Surely not!
They also do Suction Line filters similar to that shown. that would make more sense would it not?
Brian I think I need more than tea now!
Whats it all mean?
Grizzly

CoolWell
07-10-2008, 03:10 AM
Thank you (sirs) grizzly and clivemtk.

I was able to make sense of a portion of the dilapidated label as "etlube". Googling pointed me to a thermoking brochure that mentioned jetlube. Yes, its an oil separator.

Looks can be deceiving. What looked like a dryer, was confirmed by another parts supplier as a dryer that they dont have available. I think its back to refrigeration school for me :o

Or better yet, I need to visit the forum more often, and learn from experts like you :)

Many, many thanks. Please continue to be a source of light to many.

Regards.

;)