PDA

View Full Version : Howe Ice Maker

T82
04-10-2008, 01:10 PM
Need advise on a Howe flake ice machine that appears to to shave more ice off on one side of the drum than the other,almost like the scraper blade assembly if out of centre? Also having a ice biuldup at bottom of drum (only one side). This is a machine I have only just started to take over the service on so I`m not aware of it maintenace history. The bearings seem ok as the gearbox drive motor is drawing the recommended current.
Anyone with a good knowledge of these machines I would like to get further information.

NH3LVR
05-10-2008, 01:02 AM
Is this the 30E type? I have ran a few of these. I have never changed the bearings, but just blew the dust off an old manual I have.
If this is the machine you have. the bearings are pressed into place and reamed .001 of an Inch (.0254 MM) over the shaft size. The manual only has one paragraph on changing the bearings.
Loose bearings would probably not effect the motor load by much unless they were very loose.
Most of my experience is with North Star, which is similar but larger. The symptoms of bearing failure in these is the same as you describe.

T82
06-10-2008, 02:12 AM
Its a 2000-RLE , I have seen a couple of machines where the chipper blade has touched and damaged the inner drum but only on one side???????????
I doubt that the shft is bent as these machines are biult like a army tank.

Herb Berlin
02-07-2010, 05:38 AM
Need advise on a Howe flake ice machine that appears to to shave more ice off on one side of the drum than the other,almost like the scraper blade assembly if out of centre? Also having a ice biuldup at bottom of drum (only one side). This is a machine I have only just started to take over the service on so I`m not aware of it maintenace history. The bearings seem ok as the gearbox drive motor is drawing the recommended current.
Anyone with a good knowledge of these machines I would like to get further information.
either cutter bar worn or bearings are shot.to change bearings remove skin,remove bolts holding top,remove top,shat and bearings ,will probaly need to re-do shafts