PDA

View Full Version : thermo king srII

jeff carson
02-10-2008, 09:55 PM
have a t-k srII and it keeps burning out run solenoid
the pulling comes in and then the hold in comes in.
so it is working but the run solnoid only last a few days .

SteinarN
02-10-2008, 10:55 PM
I would try to replace the small PCB with the pull-in control logic and the relay. Might be that the pull in is in to long time causing overheating of the solenoid. It should pull in roughly 3-4 sec if memory serves me right. Any longer time may cause overheat of the solenoid.

abbsnowman
03-10-2008, 06:29 AM
I know some will freak out when they read this but Carrier has always used the output side of the starter solenoid for the pull in on that solenoid.
Has worked well for me and many others. I bet problem will never come back!

jeff carson
03-10-2008, 04:21 PM
thanks for getting back to me the i did check the timing and it pulls in for 3 seconds and then the hold takes over
and as fot the other i am a carrier guy and thought about going to the starter but the problem is that on this t-k the pull comes in before the starter even turns and then the hold in is also in before the starter comes in.
so i dont think the the carrier way will work because the hold in will try to pull in .

jeff carson
03-10-2008, 04:22 PM
I would try to replace the small PCB with the pull-in control logic and the relay. Might be that the pull in is in to long time causing overheating of the solenoid. It should pull in roughly 3-4 sec if memory serves me right. Any longer time may cause overheat of the solenoid.
this unit is sr and does not have that board just one pc board

jeff carson
03-10-2008, 07:07 PM
sorry this is a mdII sr i forgot bad day yesterday

SteinarN
03-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Strange. I don't have any other sugestions than the pull in staying in to long. It might be possibly it happens only intermitently. Maybe a fault with the interface board then. I supose the timer function is an integrated part of the interface board.

gravy258
03-10-2008, 10:26 PM
Theres a Thermo King fix for this problem. You have to buy a new relay board. The latest type (been out a couple years now) takes its power for the pull in from the glow plug circuit as far as I can remember. This appears to be the only fix.

cheers

Gravy

abbsnowman
04-10-2008, 06:52 AM
Ok guys trust me on this, take the white wire and put it on the output of the starter solenoid.
If you 100% understand what I am saying, try it (it works)
Sory TK won't sell me a board for that.

Kraker-Jack
21-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Make sure you are useing the new solenids with the BLUE plastic cover NOT the old BROWN ones that had a winding issue from TK.
If you are using the new ones then you need to update your software or replace the relay board.