PDA

View Full Version : Surge Arrestors!

Daikin=Overated
02-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Sorry if this has been queried before (did a search couldn't find anything). I wondered if anyone has encountered power supply surge issues blowing pcb's and such like and as a result fitted a surge arrestor/suppressor etc to get round this.

I'm after a low (ish) cost solution to install some sort of inline protection to the supply side of fan coil/splitter box pcb's to ensure minimise surge damage, as I've an ongoing issue with a firealarm interface causing surges to cut a long story short it's costing the customer £££'s to maintain.

Idealy self resetting would be brilliant!

I appreciate that this is the job of the fuse but as we all know sometimes further damage can occur in such cicumstances rendering the pcb's u/s.

Any thoughts???

Thx.

TRASH101
02-10-2008, 12:25 PM
try here http://www.advancesurgesuppressor.com/#AC

paul_h
02-10-2008, 03:56 PM
I appreciate that this is the job of the fuse but as we all know sometimes further damage can occur in such cicumstances rendering the pcb's u/s.
It's not the job of the fuse. The fuse blows if there's a fault with an a/c component, not a surge. It's the varistors job to deal with surges, they sit across the active and neutral and short the circuit when there's a surge, which blows the fuse. Most of the time the PCB can be repaired with a new varistor soldered in and a new fuse (total cost is $4 in parts). The fuse is used and abused to deal with a surge, but without the varistor being there, a fuse would never be blown by a surge. A fuse deals in current, ie what the a/c is drawing through it, not what is supplied.

I know you are after a different solution to prevent fuse blowing in the first place, but I just wanted to point out that a) Its not the fuses job to protect from surges, b) It's not the end of the PCB if it's been subjected to a surge, it's easily repairable most of the time.

BTW varistors are the most commonly used surge protection device, most of the domestic power boards (eg 4-8 outlets) with surge protection use them as a "once only" thing
But I'm interested too an any easily "resettable" device, I remember at least one thread here that talked about constant surges, might have been a hitachi unit.

monkey spanners
02-10-2008, 04:39 PM
At a dairy farm that i'm installing an icebuilder at for cooling the milk they are having four milking robots installed.
If i remember correctly they are going to be run of a ups to ensure spike free power supply.

Jon

p_p
02-10-2008, 06:02 PM
Hi Daikin- Overated

I had the same problem, spikes in the power supply causing the unit to fault.

I sourced a Voltage Stabiliser from RS.

Cured the problem, that was over 18months ago.

Regards

PP

Daikin=Overated
08-10-2008, 12:42 PM
Hi Daikin- Overated

I had the same problem, spikes in the power supply causing the unit to fault.

I sourced a Voltage Stabiliser from RS.

Cured the problem, that was over 18months ago.

Regards

PP

Wow, got there in the end..........a simple straight forward answer, as much as I appreciate a lecture on componenent level electronics.:D

Cheers PP. I'm off to RS!

Regards,

J.