PDA

View Full Version : Cold liquid line

ruben feria
28-09-2008, 03:50 PM
I have a customer with a very cold liquid line. About a month ago I recovered the refrigerant, removed the orifice from the liquid line that goes into the evaporator coil box. I cleaned it out, did not see any blockage in the orifice, made sure that I installed in the right direction, pulled vacume and recharged the system. Before I had a 50 psi suction and a 190 head. After the repairs I had a 75 suction and a 240 head.
The customer call me back today and states the the liquid line going into the evap is very cold and sweaty. And not cool enough in the house.

The Viking
28-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Despite my strong psychic powers, I can not get the wibes of what system we are looking at here.
(Must be all the interference across the Atlantic)

Sorry...

chemi-cool
28-09-2008, 06:29 PM
With or without psychic powers, some thing is blocked between the condenser outlet and the TEV outlet.

taz24
28-09-2008, 06:30 PM
I have a customer with a very cold liquid line. About a month ago I recovered the refrigerant, removed the orifice from the liquid line that goes into the evaporator coil box. I cleaned it out, did not see any blockage in the orifice, made sure that I installed in the right direction, pulled vacume and recharged the system. Before I had a 50 psi suction and a 190 head. After the repairs I had a 75 suction and a 240 head.
The customer call me back today and states the the liquid line going into the evap is very cold and sweaty. And not cool enough in the house.

Did you check / replace the filter dryer?

If the liquid line is cold ans sweaty then the dryer could be blocked.

taz

afak
28-09-2008, 07:54 PM
Hi Ruben
As said above,if there were no blockage in the liquid line (filter,hand valve,twisted pipe...etc).I think you have a leak .When the charged refrigerant gradually leaked ,it reached point that the suction act of the compressor would affects on the liquid line in some critical cases.I notice in three cases: in charging 35 tons water cooled system ,the liquid line became colder when the charge reach 1l4 ,but became warmer when the charging continue beyond this point.This happened three times in three 35 ton system had exactly the same design.It,outwardly, contradicts with the known PH relationship.
Repairing the leak may solve the problem.

Gary
28-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Since the OP says it isn't cool enough in the house, let's assume this is an A/C system.

Let's also assume fixed orifice. Removing and cleaning the orifice accomplishes nothing because the orifice is downstream from the liquid line. The restriction is upstream.

Or perhaps we are talking about the line between the orifice and the coil, which is not the liquid line and it is supposed to be cold. Perhaps you could clarify.

M.Amer
29-09-2008, 02:57 PM
im sure filter is partially black

nh3wizard
29-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Despite my strong psychic powers, I can not get the wibes of what system we are looking at here.
(Must be all the interference across the Atlantic)

Sorry...

I'm in Florida and about 3 hours from Jacksonville, and my psychic powers wont reach either:D it must be blocked:p

ruben feria
30-09-2008, 12:25 PM
Sorry about the lack of info. There is no liquid drier. it is a straight cool ac residential unit. 5 ton ac. I leak checked it originally and I leak checked it again recently. no leaks. By the time I got my superheat to about 6 degrees I ended up with a 325 head. I left it alone and I told the owner that I will have to remove the evaporator and inspect for dirt clogging up the coil. By the way it was about 90 degrees ambient outside temp with a 325 head. R 22 system. I know its way to high. :rolleyes:

Gary
30-09-2008, 02:37 PM
Why would you blame the evaporator? If there is a restriction, it is upstream from the cold line. Where the line turns cold is where the restriction is.

BTW, "cold" doesn't tell us anything. Don't you have thermometers?

jaybee
05-10-2008, 05:11 PM
less see i think your line temp should be and correct me if im wrong please at 90 amb r-22 system approx. 105 deg. I would say if all coils are clean u have a massive restiction or the unit is grossly overcharge (6deg super heat)

Gary
06-10-2008, 05:32 PM
For a proper evaluation, we need the following information:

Low side:

Evap air in temp
Evap air out temp
Saturated suction temp (SST) converted from pressure
Suction line temp at evap outlet

High side:

Cond air in temp
Cond air out temp
Saturated condensing temp (SCT) converted from pressure
Liquid line temp at receiver outlet

mwatts
07-10-2008, 12:58 PM
. Before I had a 50 psi suction and a 190 head. After the repairs I had a 75 suction and a 240 head.

dont listen to much to the client regards the cold liquid line you need to evaluate it yourself.check the h.p controll i.e fan speed controller or the condition of the coil ect.

ticotech
17-03-2009, 01:12 AM
how u did the repair? did u pumped down the system and with the same amount of ***** the pressure changed to 75low -240 head or u added some. be honest

cadwaladr
17-03-2009, 08:57 PM
fit a drier in the liquid line a 163 should do it

jure
26-03-2009, 07:30 PM
just check the condeser fans controler, I had lots of these kind of problems this winter