PDA

View Full Version : Refrigerant Charging

sparrow
26-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Hi people,

What I would like to discuss is charging a Refrigerant system using an Amp meter, and the merits for doing it this way, additional to this I would also like some advice on making a relay box, to test the system start coil etc.

Regards

Sparrow:)

chemi-cool
26-09-2008, 05:19 PM
And what would you do if your condenser is designed for 27°C ambient [as most European units] and it is 32°C outside???

The Viking
26-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Personally, I would never charge with an AMP meter.
I never found one that doesn't leak, the refrigerant sprays straight out to the atmosphere. A manifold is much better.

Jokes aside, the current drawn is not nearly accurate enough indicator of charge to rely upon for charging.
The only thing you could say is that if an inverted system you looked after for years (and recorded the running current of) suddenly draws less current, then you should check subcooling or reclaim the gas to confirm the charge.

Re the tester, try and search this forum for [annie] and you should find what you are looking for.

chemi-cool
26-09-2008, 05:37 PM
I never found one that doesn't leak, the refrigerant sprays straight out to the atmosphere. A manifold is much better.

now I understand why fingers freeze when charge a system, ;)

sparrow
27-09-2008, 09:11 AM
Cheers Viking, I take it from the the scepticism that this method is not really a viable one then? I will have a search for your suggested Annie thread, today.

Sparrow