PDA

View Full Version : controller positioning

Rhew
25-09-2008, 07:53 PM
At what height should a controller for a split be set on a wall are there any regulations for height.

The Viking
25-09-2008, 08:13 PM
In my experience...

The optimal height for a remote control, assuming normal office conditions and a ceiling height of 2.3m applies, is 2.5m!

(Stops the b@$t@rd$, sorry should be "highly valued customers", fiddeling with it!!)

bill1983
25-09-2008, 08:53 PM
i thoroughly agree viking. yours is a sentiment shared by us all i think
seiously though if the sensor is as is usual in the ceiling cassette or wall mount the height doesn't matter. speak to the office manager and explain that in any office of more than 3 people, one of them will be too cold regardless of the set temp, one of them will be too warm and one will be just right.
therefore viking is in fact correct. the controller should be set at a height where the personel cannot reach it but not too high that they cannot read the fault codes when the filter blocks or drain pump clogs up
hope this is all you need

Rhew
25-09-2008, 08:55 PM
The reason I asked is because the electrician who is rewiring the property asked why I was allowed to go higher than 1200mm as he has to fit room stats at this height. By the way its a commercial property.

Brian_UK
25-09-2008, 10:52 PM
There is a basic difference between your sparkies thermostats and your AC controllers.

The thermostats are responding to the space temperature and around 1200mm would be the standard height for these things.

Your controller, on the other hand, does not measure anything it is just a control so can be anywhere you like. It could, for instance, be located in the riser cupboard in the corridor outside the controlled space.

Rhew
26-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Thanks Brian its baisically what my answer to his question was and said that the thermostat sensor was in the cassette not on the wall. his next question was But you set it on the controll, is that my phone ringing excuse me a minute...

chemi-cool
26-09-2008, 07:47 PM
(Stops the b@$t@rd$, sorry should be "highly valued customers", fiddeling with it!!)

Which remind me, years ago I was asked to look at a 40 TR AC unit.
The unusual complaint was "Its too cold in here and the f****n thermostat doe's not work"

When I unscrewed the thermostat cover, there was not even a single wire in there, just a knob you can turn from MIN to MAX.
The temp inside was 18°C.......

The real thing was downstairs in the plant room.

BTW, your cousins from across your pond are using this method in the hiteck industry. Apparently, some scientist discovered that humans are more productive at 17°C.......

dannycool
29-09-2008, 06:13 PM
i would bear in mind that if it is a commercial property it may be used by disabled people (wheelchair bound) so i would suggest that 1.2mtr would be ideal.

chillin out
29-09-2008, 10:41 PM
Which remind me, years ago I was asked to look at a 40 TR AC unit.
The unusual complaint was "Its too cold in here and the f****n thermostat doe's not work"

When I unscrewed the thermostat cover, there was not even a single wire in there, just a knob you can turn from MIN to MAX.
The temp inside was 18°C.......

The real thing was downstairs in the plant room.
I have done this a few times as well...lol

Chillin:):)

Brian_UK
29-09-2008, 11:03 PM
i would bear in mind that if it is a commercial property it may be used by disabled people (wheelchair bound) so i would suggest that 1.2mtr would be ideal.
Good point Danny, thanks for the heads-up.:)