PDA

View Full Version : switch from cooling only to heat pump

crxshed
25-09-2008, 09:22 AM
hello, i have a friedrich m18cf cooling only and i want the heat pump option. the m18cf already have the reversing valve in it, i thought i could change the electronic board of the outdoor unit and inside unit with a m18yf which is already a heat pump. guess i'll have to change remote control as well. what do you guys think?
any of you already done this before?

Tesla
26-09-2008, 08:05 AM
Hi
I thought the outdoor coil was bigger on heatpumps as opposed to RACs to help collect the heat? But keep us posted and let us know how you go.

chemi-cool
26-09-2008, 05:33 PM
If the reversing valve is already there, all you need is to wire up.

You should have a heating mode in the remote control.

casstrig
26-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Probably as it has the reversing valve installed I would think that's part of the manufactures standardisation and I think it it would be worth converting it to a heat pump especially if your local ambient temp doesn't go below 5 degrees.

crxshed
29-09-2008, 08:01 PM
there is no heating mode on the remote control, and even if I plug the reversing valve, the outdoor electronic board dosn't have a defrost mode in it. so it will just freeze until it die.
thats why i'm looking for the part number for each board and try to purchase those boards for a reasonable price on the web.

yangchenchen
07-10-2008, 08:58 AM
To my knowledge, it is difficult to change only cooling to heat pump. Are you sure there is a four-way reversing valve in the unit? Is there high pressure receiver in the refrigeration system? How to control the defrost ?
A lot of things must be taken into account.

Don78
28-10-2008, 06:56 PM
do you have a suction line accumulator?